How to get in habit of wearing your AW?

Dualvansmommy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2014
So I was gifted AW for my xmas present recently, and in the beginning I wore it all the time. But I noticed couple of issues; my band isn't the most comfortable as it makes my skin itch and becomes red, and also another issue is on my low active days i.e. when I'm heading to office (I work from home 2-3x a week) with 45-50 mins of driving commute, I tend not to wear my AW.

But I'd like to be more consistent in wearing it DAILY, even on my low active/long days in office. So how do you get into that habit?

Also i think i need to swap out different band so I won't have the excuse it makes me itch, but what kind do you recommend? I have the current sport band.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors demi-god
Sep 9, 2017
Try the Sport Loop series, very comfortable, and for me, don't cause any irritation at all.
In addition to this, try making it a part of your morning routine to put it on. Either right when you wake up, or while you’re getting ready for your day. I wear mine throughout the night (for sleep tracking) so its already on once I wake up. You could try that as well, just be sure it’s charged before going to bed.

Reactions: rMBP2013

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
Here’s another recommendation for the sports loop, I find it the most comfortable and light to wear.

Reactions: artfossil

jaybar

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2008
If you have the SS, Ti or Ceramic. you might consider the ML. However, be mindful of charging issues and get an after market charger.

if you have access to a dermatologist, you might want to consult your doctor.

LeeW

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I have a few different straps for mine, not had any issues with comfort. It's odd, I have quite a few expensive watches but all I ever wear now is my $400 AW at all times other than when needing to be charged.

BSG75

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2015
Tennessee
As others have suggested, just get into the habit of putting it on in the morning and taking it off at night. (just like any other watch). I would also recommend the nylon sport loop. It's probably the most comfortable of all the Apple Watch bands. If you want to dress it up, there are a number of third-party leather bands out there which look great!

jaybar

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2008
I am surprised that nobody other than me, has suggested the OP consult a doctor. The OP seems to be having some type of dermatology reaction to the existing band. Everyone’s reaction can be different.

fauxtog

macrumors member
May 19, 2017
I also cannot wear the silicone sport bands. I never felt the need to see a dermatologist though, I just choose a different material.

Reactions: Dualvansmommy

rMBP2013

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
Sydney
I had the same issue as OP, but after wearing it for a week, I got used to the grey sports band. I only wear this band now and feel naked without my watch on.

jmomls

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2017
I would say leave it on all the time except for when you are bathing, but the newer watches can be worn in the shower/tub.

Have you tried a leather or nylon band?

staggerlee41

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Think like Nike. Just do it.

It's like picking up your cell phone, wallet and keys before you leave the house. You just have to build the habit of doing it. If the band isn't comfortable, try another. I find sport bands to be as comfortable as anything I've worn in the past. If that's not your cup of tea, try a loop or go the route of leather. Leather literally is like a second skin.

I'll share this. When I first got a sport loop, I found it to be somewhat irritating on my wrist, not to the degree of having a rash or reaction to it, just itchy and irritating. I continued to wear it and crossed the threshold of being irritating to insanely comfortable.

I would say leave it on all the time except for when you are bathing, but the newer watches can be worn in the shower/tub.

Have you tried a leather or nylon band?

Actually, Apple suggest not exposing the AW to soaps, shampoos etc.

AJ44

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2019
I had slight irritation when I wore the watch on one wrist all the time and it completely went away when I started alternating giving each wrist a “breather”.

scmill

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2018
Spartanburg SC
I have a bunch of bands of different types and designs for fun, but I normally just wear a nylon sport loop. It's comfortable and cool, doesn't itch and is infinitely adjustable.

Here's what I do to track my sleep and to remember to wear it. I take it off about 2 hours before bedtime and put it on the charger. When I go to bed, I put it back on. That gives my wrist a chance to breathe as well as charges it for sleep tracking and for the next day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.