Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
EVer since upgrading to High Sierra I have been getting a java JDK prompt, I have downloaded the latest version of java, as linked in the prompt and the prompt still shows up. How the devil do I get rid of this annoying prompt? Needless to say I have no desire to use the java command line tool.

Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 1.45.37 PM.png

Eagle36

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2016
I don't believe it has anything to do with High Sierra. When do you get this message when you logon? You most likely have download a java program that you did not know about. So, you need to find the program that is causing the message to appear. Might be some malware.

Maybe the activity monitor would help.

Or open a terminal window and issue the following command

ps aux | grep java

Last edited:

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
I don't believe it has anything to do with High Sierra. When do you get this message when you logon? You most likely have download a java program that you did not know about. So, you need to find the program that is causing the message to appear. Might be some malware.

Maybe the activity monitor would help.
I'll give activity monitor a look, but this never appeared before upgrading to High Sierra, and that's the only thing I've downloaded and installed recently, (other than Java). It had never appeared prior to that and now it pops up every few hours or so. Malwarebytes shows no infections.

Eagle36

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2016
but this never appeared before upgrading to High Sierra, and that's the only thing I've downloaded and installed recently, (other than Java). It had never appeared prior to that and now it pops up every few hours or so. Malwarebytes shows no infections.

What did you mean "(other than Java)"?

Also, did you check you safari plugins and extensions? You did not mention when you get the request for Java development kit...

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
What did you mean "(other than Java)"?

Also, did you check you safari plugins and extensions? You did not mention when you get the request for Java development kit...
I don't use Safari, I use Firefox and the prompt shows up regardless if there is an app running or not. It's not related to a browser.
The only things I have downloaded and installed recently were High Sierra and the latest version of Java. That's what other than java means.

Eagle36

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2016
So, you downloaded the Java JRE and now something needs the JDK. You obviously want the JRE for some reason so in trying to find the request for the JDK.. with the JDK message prompt showing use the command I mentioned above in a terminal window

ps aux | grep java

This shows all the processes running and filters for the word "java"... maybe it will show you where the request is coming from.

Another option is to remove the java JRE and see if it goes away then.. Why did you download the JRE? If removing it solves the message problem maybe you can find another solution/app that does not need JRE.

to remove Java

http://osxdaily.com/2017/06/16/uninstall-java-mac/

Last edited:

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
Actually, the prompt came before I downloaded java. Never had any prompts show up in Sierra. Here's all that shows in Terminal.
9007 0.0 0.0 4276968 952 s001 S+ 5:05PM 0:00.00 grep java

Eagle36

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2016
Actually, the prompt came before I downloaded java. Never had any prompts show up in Sierra. Here's all that shows in Terminal.
9007 0.0 0.0 4276968 952 s001 S+ 5:05PM 0:00.00 grep java

So, I can see why you think it has something to do with High Sierra, but I can't find anything that would confirm that.
I have High Sierra on two computers and don't get any java message.

Do you have any apps/games that you know of that require java and maybe the High Sierra install are causing them to ask for the JDK?

Try looking in the system log using the console app and search for java, maybe something will show up there?

ab298

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2017
Try

launchctl list | grep -v apple

in Terminal, to get a list of possible culprits; assuming it doesn't only happen when you manually open some application.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
So, I can see why you think it has something to do with High Sierra, but I can't find anything that would confirm that.
I have High Sierra on two computers and don't get any java message.

Do you have any apps/games that you know of that require java and maybe the High Sierra install are causing them to ask for the JDK?

Try looking in the system log using the console app and search for java, maybe something will show up there?

Nope. No apps that require java. Even my browsers don't rely on it anymore. HS is the only common thing. The prompt didn't start till I upgraded.

dsemf

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
Nope. No apps that require java. Even my browsers don't rely on it anymore. HS is the only common thing. The prompt didn't start till I upgraded.
If you run EtreCheck and post the results maybe someone will recognize something that uses Java.

DS

Eagle36

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2016
It does sound temping to give it a try, but I think it would be better to find the culprit (this sounds like your preference as well) that is generating the message.

Did you try the command ab298 mentioned above or the console app looking at the system log searching for JAVA? If, so was it any help?

launchctl list | grep -v apple

Here is a little more info I found on JAVA on a Mac, It might be helpful..

https://machow2.com/java-for-mac-el-capitan/

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.