How to get rid of the IP adress on an iPod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by KB4, May 5, 2009.

1. KB4 macrumors newbie

I understand that you can disable Wi-Fi on the 2G iPod touch. If I did that, would I still have a traceable IP address? If so, how do I get rid of it? The main goal here is to not be able to be tracked by my iPod by anyone.

2. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

You would have a 192.168.xx.xx address. What do you mean "get rid of"?

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

when you turn off wi-fi, there is no connection to the outside world. The ip address gets dropped and the next time you turn on wi-fi you would get a new ip address. The only way you could be tracked would be if wi-fi was ON. Normally when you are connected you get a 192.168.x.x address which is the range that you get on a private network. To the outside world your IP address is that of the router you connect to.

4. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

There are 2 parts to a network address on your iPod. The first is the burned in hardware address (also called Ethernet address, MAC address, and for the network-savvy data-link or layer 2 address). The second is the IP address (also called the network or layer 3 address) which a stock touch receives through DHCP. This address changes depending on the network you connect to. Most consumer-oriented routers will default to using an RFC 1918 private address, usually from the 192.168.x.x block of addresses as stated above. But the router can easily be configured to change what addresses it hands out. The DHCP server does keep a record of the MAC addresses it has seen and the IP address it gave to each MAC address, so this leaves a record of where you connected. There is a lease time that the IP address is good for, after which even the DHCP server forgets the MAC/IP address pair, although it may log all of the addresses it has handed out allowing someone to find your unique MAC address even after the lease has expired.

The MAC address isn't changeable (it may be if you jailbreak) and could theoretically track you. But the MAC address is only seen on the local network, so someone can't track you from across the Internet. If you connected to several networks whose DHCP servers were owned by the same person or group, they could track you within their owned networks, but not once you go someplace else.