How to get the most money from eBay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMike97, Sep 26, 2013.

1. iMike97 macrumors member

I have an iPhone 5 16GB White AT&T in great condition with Apple Care +! I want to be able to get the most money for it on eBay. What do I have to do to be able to?

Thanks in advance!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

List it.
    Take good pics, describe what it comes with and what condition its in and hope for the best.

3. WhoBitTheApple macrumors newbie

Clean your phone. Get good angles on it and make sure the lighting is good. Make it look as professional as possible and put good detail in the description.

4. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Like the others said images are the most important thing.

You need good and sharp closeup images with good lighting. Make sure you follow all the rules on eBay and describe your phone perfectly.

I even take images of it going in the shipping box.

If you get a buyer who asks a lot of questions and seems to be an *******, ban him from bidding!:p

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Very good idea.
    I'm going to start doing that from now on. I don't want to get stuck dealing with another weirdo:D

6. iono11200 macrumors member

Be very careful how you list it. I went with ebay last week and finally sold a 1 week old Flawless iPhone 5 16gb for Verizon. Sold it for $426.00. Till all was said and done, Postage fees. Paypal fees, OUTRAGEOUS ebay fees? I was ahead $9.54 cents. Hardly seems worth the effort given the decent prices that some resellers are offering, Just my opinion though.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hold on. You sold it for $426 and ended up with $9.54 cents left over for you?
    How is that possible? Ebay and paypal fees are around 12% combined and then postage that I usually charge the buyer for.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I can only assuming he is referring to how much money he "made". Meaning he is also subtracting what he paid for the phone in the first place.

EDIT: But even still, a 16GB iPhone 5 should have cost $250, max, after taxes. So I am not sure how that adds up... If it was a week old phone, why not just return it in the first place? :confused:

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think he's taking into considering the original purchase price of the phone

10. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Aside from what has already been said, I recommend listing it so that it ends in the evening. If you are listing it while everyone is at work (i.e. mid day), you likely won't get as much for it.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Weird, I don't get it either:D

12. billycuth macrumors 6502a

I go one step further and video tape the boxing... Weird to make the opposite of an unboxing video (of course, unboxing vids are weird too)...

ALSO - MAKE SURE TO SHIP INSURED AND REQUIRE A SIGNATURE.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's very important and never never forget that. Ship with signature confirmation. And if you got a few dollars extra put insurance in case it gets lost or damaged in the mail to be 10000% covered.
    Even if you send it with priority and delivery confirmation all the buyer has to say is I never got the package.
    Maybe the mailman left it and someone stole it from my mailbox or in front of my door.
    Had that happened to my uncle last year.
    PayPal refunded the money back to the buyer and the seller got stuck without money or a phone.
    Delivery confirmation shows that it got delivered at the location but not if the actual person really got it and signed for it.
    You should have proof for everything so you don't get hosed.
    People are not honest and play dirty. They are out to get something for nothing if you overlook a minor detail.

14. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

How they respond in a email is important. I also check their feedback, really important to see "feedback left for others" as this is where I am really strict and will ban them quickly. It has kept me out of trouble for over 675 transactions! (knock on wood)

----------

All excellent ideas. Something like you video and good past history with eBay goes a long way when eBay has to decided who is going to get stuck.

There are some crazy people on eBay.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you. Spend a little time to do your homework and have a little less to worry about.
    But you're still not 100% what kind of individual you will end up with and if they're going to try to pull a fast one on you.

16. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Agreed, I have tried CL and with even with higher eBay fees, I have consistently sold my items for more on eBay. You can not beat the sheer quantity of people looking at your item.

That homework helps keep the odds in your favor.

17. iono11200, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013

iono11200 macrumors member

My Bad applejuiced, I should have explained. My best offer with a reseller was $350. Gauranteed till the end of October. I sold it for $426 on ebay plus $8.75 shipping. $434 and change. Paypal took $12 and change right off the top. I had a fairly high reserve, so I didn't lose money and ebay whacked me an outrageous $49 and pennies to sell it. In the end? I made $359 and change with ebay vs $350 without any hassle. Seems like a no brainer to me. I know what I'll be doing next year. ebay used to be great. but no more. F$#K them. Just my experience though.

18. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Unfortunately, scammers get clever. I have heard of scammers buying other accounts, running a couple dozen to hundred scams on them, and then dumping the account. So all recent feedbacks given and received look legit (because they are... just for somebody else entirely).

There really is no way to 100% safeguard yourself. The fact that you have hundreds of feedbacks (and presumably no recent address, or other account changes) eBay will tend to side with you. For those with something like three feedbacks, a scammer can get away with more. There are a LOT of people that sell iPhones with very few feedbacks (they just want to dump their old device to get a new one) and those are the people at a higher risk.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Keep him around until the last hour for the bidding war, then ban him.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

CL is such a waste of time sometimes.
    You get people calling and wasting you time. Telling you they will meet you and they never show up. Lowballing you or agree on a price and then show up with $50 short cause that's all they got now and other bs.
    Its a pain....

21. iono11200 macrumors member

It was a one week old iphone because my original one was replaced under warranty. This was more than likely a refurb.

22. rockitdog Suspended

Getting the most money & eBay don't go together. Ebay Charges you 10% of your final sale price and on top of the Paypal (owned by eBay) take about 3% of your total sale price away.

Getting scammed and ripped off and eBay go very well together.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh, that explains it then.
    I agree, way easier with the reseller. Not sure if the additional $9 after doing all this work and risking selling it on ebay is worth it.
    I'm with you on that man.

24. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I had this happen more times than I want to count. Now I just have them come to my place. We live in a ~120 year old wool mill converted to lofts, so there are roughly 200 units in the building. I don't give them a unit number, just building number, meet them in the recreation room, and what's done is done. I also only take/answer texts via google voice. If we agree on something I take the time to actually talk to the guy.

25. iono11200 macrumors member

Precisely. Thanks. Glad I could share this with others. Enjoy!