How to get the most money out of broken MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Nicolevm, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Nicolevm macrumors newbie

So my 13" MacBook (aluminum unibody) got some windex under the keys and long story short the keyboard / top case is broken. I already tried removing the keys and cleaning with rubbing alcohol and q-tips. When I type any keys, strange symbols come up instead of letters or numbers. According to the apple store the logic case may also be broken but the laptop does turn on. I was going to replace the top case but I don't want to find out I need to replace the logic board as well after doing that, as I'd rather just spend a bit more money and get a whole new laptop.

-Is there a way to know for sure if the logic case is broken?
    -Would I get more money selling it for parts or as it is on eBay or something of that sort? What parts would even be salvageable? (Besides the battery screen)

Thanks!

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

There's no such part as a "logic case."

The only way to know for certain if your logic board is good and your top case is bad is to try a known-good top case.

3. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

I wouldn't bother with buying a new top case, unless you're not planning on selling it. When you sell AS IS on eBay, you're going to get a lot of repair shops bidding on your item, who have to assume the worst case scenario (IE bad logic board + bad keyboard). You'll also get a lot of people with near zero experience with repairs, who will bid high since they don't realize parts costs (and think they can fix anything).

Buying a good top case isn't going to answer any questions about the old top case if it wasn't the issue to begin with, so you'd be stuck with 1 good case + 1 unknown case + 1 bad logic board. And since parts prices on eBay are so inflated, it's going to take a while to get your money back if you choose to resell the good case. If you take a chance, and the logic board is good, then you'd come out ahead, but I'd trust the genius bar.

I personally won't touch a liquid damaged 13" Core 2 duo for more than $200, but I do see them selling for much more via auction. Stay away from Buy It Now if you want the most money since amateur buyers use auctions via "Time: Ending Soonest". "Professional" buyers (repair shops) will be using "BIN Time Newly Listed" searches, since very low priced items pop up with BIN all the time, so if your price is a high Buy It Now, nobody is going to touch it.

Another word of advice. Start your auction at $0.99 with free shipping (high starting bid auctions garner little interest). Schedule the auction to end the auction on a sunday evening, since most auctions end higher on Sundays.

Also, make sure you forbid zero feedback buyers from buying this item, since they're not going to pay or respond to your messages. Avoid echeck payments, and offers to ship out of the country, especially if you're a new seller. If the value goes above $250, then you NEED to ship with signature confirmation to qualify for eBay's seller protection. Make sure you pack the item securely, and the label is affixed properly, if the item gets lost or damaged, it's you're responsibility (you'll be out $XXX and a macbook).

4. session101 macrumors regular

new or used logic board = $300
    new or used topcase less than $100

you choose!

5. adslvlc macrumors newbie

6. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Good luck getting a working logic board for $300.

Sounds like your numlock key (or its circuit) is grounded. Top cases are expensive and require a lot of labor as every other piece screws into them.

If the keyboard is shot, you WILL need a new top case to resolve the problem.

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Kindly show me where on the 13" aluminum unibody MB there is a numlock key. The numlock key also won't cause symbols to appear when you type letters, just numbers on certain keys (except on the 13" aluminum MB, there is no numlock key). The option key is the one you mean, as that would cause exactly what the OP is experiencing.

So, OP, double-check your option keys. Also, just wait a few days, as Windex evaporates pretty well.

8. laudern macrumors 6502a

wow thanks.. I got more out of this thread than I thought I would

9. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Ahhh, iThink you are 100% correct. The option key is what I meant.