How to get the most out of your battery life?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by yolatechno, Oct 23, 2011.

1. yolatechno macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Just bought a new Macbook pro, and I want to take care of it as best I can.

I've heard lots of conflicting things about how to take care of batteries - what do people here recommend? It is best to charge it, then work on it while it's unplugged? Or is it better to keep it plugged in while you work, and then unplug it when it's not being used?

Any tips greatly appreciated :)

Cheers,

Y

2. simsaladimbamba

Look for the section called "BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE", though make sure to read the rest, if you want to know more about your battery:

3. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Why not take advantage of Apples excellent support tutorials & various resources.

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/

4. yolatechno thread starter macrumors newbie

5. sngx1275 macrumors regular

sngx1275

I'm pretty pleased with Watts. It has you 'calibrate' your battery at least monthly.

I bought my MBP used and I'm pretty sure the battery had 77% of its original capacity. I've used Watts for a year now and battery capacity is 81% of original. Now I'm not saying you are going to gain battery capacity, mine is probably a fluke. But I have a feeling the guy I bought it from charged it at night and used it during the day without power, probably didn't run it down all the way and then charged it again (he averaged over 1 power cycle a day). Thats probably pretty hard on a battery.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The newer Mac notebooks with built-in batteries come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration. Read the Battery FAQ in post #2.