How to get video off my camcorder to my 13" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chelseasian, Sep 8, 2009.

1. chelseasian macrumors regular

chelseasian

Hi!

I am in a bit of a spot. I have just purchased a new 13" MBP and I have some video that I need to transfer off my camcorder (Canon Optura 20) which has both a FW400 and a USB port.

I've tried connecting via USB to my MBP and running iMovie, but it is not recognizing it. As my MPB does not have a FW400 port, how would I get the video transferred?

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you.
    :apple:

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    When you connect the camera does it show up on the desktop as a drive? If so, then just make a folder, and drag all the video files into, and you can later import them into iMovie. Also, does the camera show up in iPhoto?

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Have you tried a FW800-to-FW400 adapter or cable?

Also if your camcorder charged and turned on when you're connecting it to your computer?

4. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

You can get a FW400-to-800 cable, and hook it up that way. One of these should do the trick:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/add-ons-and-hubs/cables

Assuming your camcorder comes with a 4-pin FW400 port on it, you'd probably want to get this cable: 9-pin FW800 on one end and a 4-pin FW400 on the other end. I.e. one of the first four links on that website, depending on the length you need. Starts at $10.

5. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

With that camcorder, the USB is only v1.1 and for transfering stills only. You will need to use the FireWire for video transfers, and you will need to use a "Log and transfer" feature to move the videos over.