How to go about switching new AT&T iPad for Verizon model

Discussion in 'iPad' started by koigirl, Mar 15, 2012.

1. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

I am expecting to receive my new AT&T 64g iPad tomorrow. I am almost certain I am going to exchange it for the Verizon version after spending the past week weighing pros and plans of each carrier's data plans and reviewing LTE coverage/buildout in my sector of the country. Is it okay for me to open it when it arrives and try it out for a week or so and then make exchange at Apple store? Will there be a Verizon unit available for exchange or will I have to go through reorder or reservation process for replacement unit? Should I not open it at all? I am leaving town on Friday and wouldn't be able to exchange before Monday at the earliest.

2. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Seriously? :rolleyes: How could ANYONE possibly know if there would be a Verizon unit available? You have 2 weeks to return yours.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Besides, AT&T > Verizon. I'd keep it and be happy. :apple:

4. Rob.G macrumors 6502

Rob.G

With the demand that there is gonna be for these things, I see a few options:

A. Take your unopened box and go stand in line at an Apple store and exchange it tomorrow (this ensures you'll get what you want NOW)

B. Try this same thing at Best Buy or Walmart, IF they have any LTE models.

C. Return it in two weeks and HOPE they have some to exchange, but being prepared to wait several months if not.

D. In lieu of C, SELL it and make some $$ then try to get the one you want.

One of the two I'm getting is a white 32 gig WiFi and I wanted to exchange it for a white 64 gig WiFi.. but the Apple Store Employee today told me I could, but I'd still have to stand in line to do it. So screw that, I'll keep it.

Rob

5. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

Just confirmed from my local Walmart they will be selling all models tonight. I pre-ordered the At&T model but now wish I got Verizon. I used the Apple finance tho 6 mos free interest. hmmm what to do:confused: Don't want to wait in line at Apple store to exchange, and I imagine they'll be out real quick. I only wanted the 4G 'just in case', but I see Verizon 4G is available where I live which is a small town. Get the Verizon tonight then exchange the ATT with Apple, then when that comes return the Walmart one? That seems like a lot of work.

6. noles200 macrumors member

Ummm, you've got 14 days to return it with no restocking fee....even if you've opened it and played with it so what are you worried about (unless you are not close to an Apple store). Even if you pre-ordered, you can bring it back to an Apple store and return, no worries. So, if you are able to endure spending a few hours in line (even for WalMart midnight sale - beware because even if they have all models they may only have a few of each type, especially 4G versions) wait in line, get what you want, try to sell the other on craigs or ebay and if you can't get more than what you paid bring it back to Apple within 14 days for full refund.

7. koigirl, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

koigirl thread starter macrumors 6502a

koigirl

Geez I guess I'll try and make it work and call Apple next week if it doesn't...:(. But thanks for advice. I am going to open it and at least enjoy this weekend even though I'm prolly going to return. Feel like an a__ doing that but then again, I spent $829 on it and they could have made an interchangeable LTE that would work with either carrier!

8. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

My Apple store is an hour away , but I'm most worried that if I take it down to exchange say next week, they won't have any left to exchange. Then I will have to order and wait. I doubt my local Walmart would have much of a line....if I went in there saw long line I would definitely not wait. Wish I just ordered Verizon to start with!! I thought I needed ATT to use with a surveillance camera, and Verizon didnt have the 1GB/$20 on the Apple site after the media event.

9. bwrairen macrumors 6502

Not if you live in a non-4G AT&T area. Which is 90% of the USA.

10. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

true true, but in my opinion atts faster 3g as well as there hdsp+ is a reason to go with ATT

11. 184550 Guest

Personally, I'd at least post on CL that you're looking to trade. What's the worst that could happen?