How to install an Airport Extreme 802.11n card in your Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by krye, Apr 21, 2008.

1. krye macrumors 68000

krye

2. Melody0926 macrumors newbie

Hmm... The link cannot be found?

Hi,

I would like to purchase the Airport Extreme Card. However, I am not sure how many different versions had and have released. I have a Mac Pro 1,1. The spec is as followed:

Hardware Overview:

Dual-Core Intel Xeon
    2.66 GHz
    2 Processors
    4 Cores
    4 MB L2 Cache (per processor)
    1 GB Memory
    1.33 GHz Bus Speed
    MP11.005C.B08 Boot ROM version
    1.7f10 SMC version:confused:

3. maroulis macrumors member

link doesn't work.... also if you're anything like me, it took me forever to connect the antennas to the card... talk about finicky and delicate procedure..

4. sommls macrumors member

krye, the instructions on your web site are quite clear and easily followed for the early 2008 MacPro, but I'm curious how you knew to connect wires #1 and #3.

The reason I ask is that my MacPro now sees only a small number of my neighbors' wireless networks. These are a subset of those received by my older 802.11g MBP, which I don't regard as particularly sensitive (a fairly bare-bones Windows laptop from work does much better still).

I'm just wondering if other combinations of antenna wires to the 802.11n card might work better. Not a chance I will change for the moment, though: connecting them to the AE card was annoying, even with good instructions.

Also, your more complicated url doesn't currently work for me, but your specified web site (RyeMAC3.net) is fine.

5. krye thread starter macrumors 68000

krye

Weird. Anyway, after reading this http://meanderingpassage.com/2007/07/18/how-to-installing-an-airport- and this http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=237916&page=2 I came to the conclusion that it doesn't matter how you connect it. Some people leave 1 unconnected, some people leave 3 unconnected.

6. TimmyDee macrumors member

I did this a few months ago, and most internet sources I found said to connect wires 1 and 3. I did that, and I seem to have pretty good reception.

Connecting those wires was the biggest PITA, though. My fingers were tingly for weeks afterwards from pressing on them so hard.