Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shov

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2006
I'm finally getting around to upgrading to Snow Leopard, alas my "super"drive has gone the way of all other superdrives and refuses to read the 10.6 install disc.

What's the best way of upgrading to Leopard without using the DVD drive?

I was thinking of using a USB stick (using a friend's Mac to copy the DVD onto the stick) but don't want to buy an 8gb stick that will hardly ever get used for anything else (plus, I live on a small island and would have to wait for it to be delivered). I've got an old iPod touch 2 - could I use that as the USB drive?

Thanks!

DaKKs

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
You can try an external USB optical drive. Or you can, lemme just point out that i don't condone piracy so do this only if you own Snow Leopard Retail, download a dmg file from various sources and restore it to an 8gb usb drive with disk utility.

shov

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2006
Okay, so I've managed to get hold of a USB stick, but there's no one around at the moment with a Mac for me to make the bootable USB on.

I've searched the forums and I know I can use TransMac to make a bootable USB of SL from a .dmg in Windows but I'm not sure how to make a .dmg from the SL DVD in Windows in the first place. Anyone know?

Thanks again!

shov

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2006
Thanks, but I need to do it in Windows as the superdrive is broken on my Macbook.

DedeGJ

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Thanks, but I need to do it in Windows as the superdrive is broken on my Macbook.

If you have original disc with SL, so you can download a copy of it, and i think that will not be piracy, because you have it, you baught it, but you can't use it. So download it, from torrents or smth like that, and restore it to usb stick. That's all the deal :)

DaKKs

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
If you have original disc with SL, so you can download a copy of it, and i think that will not be piracy, because you have it, you baught it, but you can't use it. So download it, from torrents or smth like that, and restore it to usb stick. That's all the deal :)

That's only legal in some countries, and while I'm no expert in UK law, I'm pretty sure the UK isn't one of them.

Oh, and for the record. The above is regarding the EULA. If TS downloads it via bittorrent, its still piracy because he's sending the file to others while downloading. Its the entire point of the bittorrent protocol. peer-to-peer sharing.

Now, I will say that personally I wouldn't care either way. If you own a legit copy of SL, you can download it, I know I would. Personally, I don't see it as piracy.

DedeGJ

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
That's only legal in some countries, and while I'm no expert in UK law, I'm pretty sure the UK isn't one of them.

Oh, and for the record. The above is regarding the EULA. If TS downloads it via bittorrent, its still piracy because he's sending the file to others while downloading. Its the entire point of the bittorrent protocol. peer-to-peer sharing.

Now, I will say that personally I wouldn't care either way. If you own a legit copy of SL, you can download it, I know I would. Personally, I don't see it as piracy.

Yap, in UK that would be piracy, but you have no needs to start download and go to street and shout for everybody "i'm downloading Snow Leopard illeagaly"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.