Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
hi guys!

i would love to know, if you guys know of a way, to store the digital photos in an external hard drive and view them in iPhoto, the same way as accessing songs from an external hard drive in iTunes.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
I think you solved your own problem: "the same way you do it in iTunes." That's how you do it.

EDIT: Hmm...or not. I used to have my iPhoto library on another drive and it was as simple as telling iPhoto that the library is in another place--just like iTunes. Now, in iPhoto 4, I don't see any option like that.

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
i think you can just move your ~/Pictures folder onto the external drive... then it should be as easy as launching iPhoto. iPhoto should tell you it can't find your album, and will ask you to locate it or make a new one... choose to find it and point it to your external drive...

hopefully my mind is thinking straight,
reality

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Or make a symbolic link from your home directory called Pictures to a folder on the external drive called Pictures. I did this with my entire Home directory and it is working great.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
kgarner said:
Or make a symbolic link from your home directory called Pictures to a folder on the external drive called Pictures. I did this with my entire Home directory and it is working great.

ok help me out here will you please? "symbolic link"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.