How to Jailbreak Beta 7 if You're Stuck in Recovery Mode

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Captain America, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Captain America macrumors 6502

I was having a ridiculously annoying time trying to get beta 7 working on my phone. Here's a description of the problem. Others might not have the same exact problem, but anyway:

I was on iOS 4.3.3 (jailbroken of course) and Beta 7 would install just fine. The problem arose when I ran RedSn0w. After running it, I would get stuck at the recovery/Connect to iTunes screen.

Nothing I could do would work. I uninstalled every piece of Apple software, removed every file related and redownloaded everything. Still didn't work. Tried a bunch of other things, and through the help and involvement of Kiba and AppleHacker from Sinful iPhone, we eventually found that the only way to get it is:

Have Beta 6 working on the phone, then do a full Shift+click restore of the beta 7 .ipsw (or .dmg if you're on teh Macz). Do NOT have your phone in DFU mode. Just restore it and it'll install fine. Run Redsn0w as your normally would and BOOM! Your phone explodes.

No, just kidding. It'll work! If you're not a Dev (like me) go ahead and remove the beta strings through iFunBox, reboot w/ RedSn0w and enjoy!

2. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

3. Captain America thread starter macrumors 6502

lol that grin makes me nervous. Do you legitimately want me to test it? Or are ya just screwing with me?

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Um, that's what I've done for every beta so far.

His way will result in an activated phone. The emergency call workaround does not.

5. Captain America thread starter macrumors 6502

Not everyone knows that, and I certainly wasn't the only one who didn't know to do that.

6. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I really want to know.
    I can't test it because my UDID is registered.
    In fact that's how I found out that my UDID was registered -- I was going to test it out with beta-1 and then discovered that I was activated without needing to.
    I can't believe that Apple wouldn't have fixed this yet but then again, I'm sure they've got more than that on their plate.

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Every guide out there tells you to do it that way with redsn0w. However, I'm glad you figured it out and got it working.

8. Captain America, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2011

Captain America thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.

Well I hate to say it, but in my frustration and desperation last night, I gave in and paid the $7 to <removed by mod> to get my UDID registered. I just got the confirmation e-mail like 15 minutes ago, so there goes that. If it's any consolation to you, I tried it on beta 6 and it didn't do jack. Unless of course I somehow did it wrong lol.

Now that I'm registered, should I restore one more time the proper way? Or does it really not matter now that I'm where I am.

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Before using the jailbreak method (editing the SystemVersion.plist) which results in an activation (not hacktivation) I tried it and I couldn't get it to show the Notification Center at all.

10. Captain America thread starter macrumors 6502

I assume you're referring to the button pressing method. The notification menu wouldn't come down for me either when I tried it on Beta 6.

What's your opinion about what I asked in my last post: Now that I'm a legit registered UDID, should I restore again the right way or does it really not make a difference since I've edited the .plist?

11. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Yes, that's what I meant.

I would restore because if you're jailbroken you can't do an OTA update and save yourself 2 hours of re-syncing every release.

12. Captain America thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't need to do OTA since I'm already on b7?

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I mean for the next beta/GM release.

14. Captain America thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh yea lol gotcha. Sorry, tired lol. Was up till 5 last night when I was first trying to get this thing working. Just did it. Strange feeling to not see it say that I'm not part of the Developer Program lol