How to join or initiate a group call with the Skype app?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by desertman, Mar 26, 2014.

1. desertman, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014

desertman macrumors 6502a

Is it possible to join a Skype call from the Skype iPhone app? And how exactly is this done?

Skype's website is rather foggy about this. The Skype help says only: "To join your Skype group call from a mobile or landline, your friends need to dial your Skype Number. You can then add them to the group call in Skype."

Does that mean that in order for "User C" to join a Skype call between "User A" and "User B", "User A" (who initiated the call) has to have a Skype number (not just a Skype name), and "User C" then has to dial this Skype number either from a) the Phone app on the iPhone, or from b) the Skype app on the iPhone (which means that "User C" needs a Skype-Out credit)?

Or does it mean that there has to already an existing group call between at least three users (on computers, not on iOS devices) before a fourth user can join this group call as described above?

Or how else is this done? Is there somebody here who has firsthand experiences with Skype group calls from an iPhone Skype app?

2. silvermoon macrumors newbie

This is taken from the website:

With Skype for iPhone, you can participate in a Skype group call you’re added to.

When you’re invited to a group call, you’ll see an incoming call notification screen. Simply tap the green call button to join the call.

Currently, you can’t initiate a group call in Skype for iPhone.

----------

I'd like to add that I don't have firsthand experience using Skype on the iPhone, but I have made Skype calls with contacts on Mac and PC.