How to know if my phone has legit firmware

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jerkshop, Oct 4, 2011.

1. jerkshop, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

jerkshop macrumors newbie

Hi,

I would like to know how can I tell if my phone has a legit/official firmware from Apple. The reason why I asked this is because it upgraded the firmware to 4.3.5 like iTunes suggest and after upgrading it got into the loop stuff where you see an iTunes logo and a usb cable tip. Anyway I got out into that part by painstakingly googling for a solution. Now the phones back and loaded with 4.1. I downloaded the restore firmware in a site called felixburns something then used iReb to fix the problem. Now I want to upgrade to the latest firmware, well my concern is I don't want to have that loop stuff again. My iPhone btw is a 3GS. Thanks!

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The website you downloaded from pulls the software directly from Apple's server, so it will definitely be legit.

3. jerkshop thread starter macrumors newbie

so does that mean I can upgrade to 4.3.5 without getting that nasty 1015 error? I don't have cyndia in any of my apps now and I went through the activation process again after I finist downgrading to 4.1.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yes

You should now be able to update to the latest firmware.....It doesn't sound as though your device has been JB'd

5. jerkshop thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually my brother gave it to me as a gift, it was his phone before. And I see Cyndia on it before I updated the firmware, I'm guessing that it could be JB. I don't want my phone JB coz I want the latest updates without having issues or something. So if in case it was JB before does that mean that I'm going to have the 1015 error or does my iPhone have a legit firmware. :) Waaaaaaaahhhhh for the nth time jerkshop. I just want to make it clear before hitting this update button in my iTunes. Hey I love my new phone!

6. chandler99 macrumors regular

i'd check to see if your phone use 6.15.0 firmware or whatever the ipad baseband fw uses. Better safe than sorry.

7. jerkshop thread starter macrumors newbie

it's an iPhone chandler :) what do you want to know?

8. JunkyDog macrumors 6502

To check the baseband, do this:

Go to: Settings -> General -> About ->

Scroll down to the bottom, see what it tells you about the baseband, type it here.

JunkyDog

9. jerkshop thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't see baseband here, the only thing I see here is modem firmware which is 6.15.0. What does that mean?

10. JunkyDog macrumors 6502

it means you will need a custom firmware to get your iphone back to normal again. Search the forum for custom firmware, follow the steps, and you will be back up again in no time..

11. jerkshop thread starter macrumors newbie

so it means that my phone is not normal? Then what state does it have then? Sorry I'm so totally noob with this I'm new with this.

12. JunkyDog macrumors 6502

oh yes it is normal, only that is it wont boot, right.

Well, try this guide for help.

All i am saying that you need a custom firmware to restore your iphone back to life. Hope this clear things up..

13. jerkshop thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh it won't boot right if I try to update it's firmware directly using iTunes right?

But I don't want to jb my iPhone. :( I want the legit one from Apple.

14. JunkyDog macrumors 6502

You cant cause of your modemfirm is a ipad firm.

Please, others post some help to this as i am not familiar with bb 6.15.00

But i woud start search this forum for bb 6.15.00 posts, and take it from there.

JunkyDog

15. jerkshop thread starter macrumors newbie

It looks clear now. Hmmmm Alright, I'll do that. Thank you for your help, one thing with this firmware that I'm using right now will the guide JB my iOS to 4.3.5 would that put my phone back to normal again?

16. JunkyDog macrumors 6502

Normal and normal, well, to be honestly, i dont know. But i think you will have to load a custom 4.3.5 firm to it with snowbreeze and load it with itunes by holding down shift and select the custom firmware located on your desktop.

Others, please help me with this, i wont lead this guy to do wrong things..

17. JunkyDog macrumors 6502

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1227256&highlight=baseband

Try reading this and search for posts like this, and you will get help.. :)

18. chandler99 macrumors regular

19. jerkshop thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay I tried to look for solutions in the internet but all of them says the same stuff I'll be having a difficult time putting my phone back to normal. :( They suggest to remain at 4.1 with that baseband 6.15.0 stuff.