how to list logons and passwords safari preferneces

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by lasloduncan, Jun 4, 2019.

1. lasloduncan macrumors regular

lasloduncan

how to list all of my logons and passwords in safari preferences..in other words show all of my email addresses and passwords..not x'd out the actual passwords- I am going do uninstall safari and reinstall a fresh uncorrupted copy( I hope) and do not want to take a chance on losing my logons and passwords...Thank you

2. chrfr macrumors 604

The chances of the Safari application being corrupted are extraordinarily tiny. What is the actual problem you're having?

3. Honza1 macrumors 6502

As noted by chrfr above, Safari corruption is highly unlikely. I am also not aware if you can actually uninstall and reinstall it - I think that requires whole OS upgrade (which is simple, just download combo installer from Apple and install in place). You probably can clean up all plugins/extensions, wipe cache and do more reset steps (google it, procedures are on line) and clean up Safari to pristine condition.

In any case, to original question. It is trivial - at least on my computer (10.14.5). Safari preferences, tab "Passwords", give it your own password and you will see list of web sites, user names, and hashed passwords. If you click on password, it shows as text. I am not sure if there is way to export this out as text list, but I would kind of hope not. Any more convenient way is likely possible to abuse by malware. So you may have to do line by line recording here.

4. NoBoMac macrumors 68020

There is a command you can run, but problem is, seems to ask for your Mac password for each and every entry in the keychain.

security dump-keychain -d login.keychain > SignIns.txt