How to lock down the phone while traveling international

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bcoops, May 10, 2013.

1. bcoops macrumors newbie

Hi will be traveling from us to Canada .. Two questions... Is there a way to 'lock down' the i5 so I won't get any data/voice roaming while I go away? Secondly, I notice when connected to wifi it's only connected when its on, it appears when it's sleeping its on the carrier network still and push messages are prolly not going thru wifi.. Is there a way to avoid this ?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. bcoops thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow how stupid of me yes there are options for that thank you for bringing it to light

4. BruiserB macrumors 65816

You can turn off data roaming, but I'm not sure it's possilbe to turn off voice roaming. You can incur charges even if someone calls and leaves a voicemail and you never answer the phone. You'll also still get text messages which you may be charged for. (Some carriers only charge for sending roaming messages, not receiving them....you'll have to check with your carrier).

To turn off everything, you can put the phone in airplane mode and then turn wi-fi back on separately. I think that may also shut down your GPS capability. I'm not sure if it's possible to turn that back on while in airplane mode.

5. xpected_one macrumors regular

xpected_one

This is the best way, I confirmed with AT&T (about to go to Europe but the rules are the same outside of the US) that if someone calls you and you don't answer you will still incur charges when and if the person leaves a Voice-mail. Pretty crappy if you ask me but that's AT&T for you.

6. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

I don't believe you can turn Wifi on if Airplane mode is also on, so that may be a problem.

And I also noticed when I turn my phones screen on, the edge/4G symbol is on for 2 seconds then switches back to Wifi, so that may mean your phone uses cellular when locked? Beware that as well.

7. Davejprince macrumors regular

I can confirm that you can turn WiFi on when Air-Plane mode is activated.

8. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Pop the sim card out and use it on wi-fi only.

You'll still be able to iMessage, surf and email. Without the sim card it's just an iPod touch with nothing to link it to you and your phone bill.

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

No, you can turn Wifi on separately in Airplane mode. If you couldn't, GoGo Inflight wireless would pretty much be out of business.

----------

Another option would be to forward your voice calls to a Skype or Google Voice number before you leave US soil. That will ensure that calls don't get to you over the cell network. You could also set up a voicemail message on the GV number, explaining the situation. Or you might be able to receive the calls when you're on Wifi.

Call forwarding will eat out of your voice minutes if you're not on an unlimited voice plan, but it's still a lot cheaper than roaming.

10. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

I could've sworn the last time I had airplane mode on Wifi was greyed out... maybe i just tried it too fast, my bad.

11. westgorge macrumors newbie

You are right Paul......turn on Airplane Mode and then go back and turn on WiFi mode. Airplane mode will turn everything off.....you just have to turn WiFi back on and you'll be in business. I did it this way when I went to Europe and used Skype exclusively.

12. serega macrumors regular

You can turn on Wi Fi when in Airplane Mode. I do it when traveling.

13. upnorth85 macrumors 6502

If you put it on airplane mode and switch on the Wi-Fi and you have a Google voice number, you can make and receive calls when in the Wi-Fi area. I regularly use my GV talk app on my iPad as a phone when traveling overseas.