Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeremy12777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
What is the terminal command steps to make the app store high sierra that got released to public how to make into a bootable dvd
Everyone i find its only for beta please help as i have no usb drives and want it on a dual layer dvd

Reactions: jer2eydevil88

jeremy12777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
no you did not think what you want i still have no terminal commands to make it

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
What is the terminal command steps to make the app store high sierra that got released to public how to make into a bootable dvd
Everyone i find its only for beta please help as i have no usb drives and want it on a dual layer dvd

Your question is closely related to making a bootable iso. If we can do that then it is a simple matter to burn the iso to dvd to get what you want.

br0adband has already made a thread on the iso but so far attempts have failed: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/convert-the-high-sierra-installer-app-to-an-iso-anyone.2070676/

So that probably doesn't help you either. But I think if we can fix br0adband's commands up eventually we should be able to get a good working set of commands for High Sierra.

jeremy12777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
they say you got to do stuff your own self to get it done right well i just did i wrote a script to make it dvd bootable i did it myself and i aint gonna share it so ha ha ha
[doublepost=1506477901][/doublepost]i have not failed mine boots and installs just fine

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
they say you got to do stuff your own self to get it done right well i just did i wrote a script to make it dvd bootable i did it myself and i aint gonna share it so ha ha ha
[doublepost=1506477901][/doublepost]i have not failed mine boots and installs just fine

Awesome!

Hope I can get you to change your mind about sharing.

Lots of others are asking the same question.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
And those questions have not abated. Many people continued to investigate. And the situation is now somewhat improved.

We can now make to bootable iso with the following commands:

hdiutil create -o /tmp/HighSierra.cdr -size 5130m -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J

hdiutil attach /tmp/HighSierra.cdr.dmg -noverify -mountpoint /Volumes/install_build

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/install_build

mv /tmp/HighSierra.cdr.dmg ~/Desktop/InstallSystem.dmg

hdiutil detach /Volumes/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra

hdiutil convert ~/Desktop/InstallSystem.dmg -format UDTO -o ~/Desktop/HighSierra.iso

and then you can rename HighSierra.iso.cdr to HighSierra.iso.

You can then use this to burn it to a dual layer dvd:

sudo hdiutil burn /Users/YOURNAME/Desktop/HighSierra.iso

where you replace "YOURNAME" with the username for the account you are logged into at the time.

and then boot to startup manager with option key to select the dvd and install High Sierra from it.

BUT - as it is formatted as hfs+ it will only boot up computers in hfs+. It won't boot computers already formatted as apfs.

Attempts are still underway to make an apfs version of the bootable iso which may lead to a dual bootable bluray capable of booting up computers in both formats.

PS. As of only a few hours ago I can confirm that this bootable dvd not only boots but also successfully installs High Sierra.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaZ

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012

clapping-hands-sign_1f44f.png

Lou

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.