Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikelong622

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
St. Paul, Minnesota
Forgive me if this is answered.

I'm finding it slightly annoying that in Safari 5.0, whenever I hit CMD+T to open a new tab, my cursor automatically starts in the google search box on the web page, and not in the address bar. Not only that, but I can't simply hit SHIFT-TAB to go backwards to the address bar.

I'm a designer, so I'm constantly using shortcuts, not only in my design programs, but also in Safari, iTunes, etc. It would be nice to see a fix for this, so I can keep my hands on the keyboard, and off of my mouse.

Hopefully this doesn't make me seem super lazy, lol. :D

mikelong622

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
St. Paul, Minnesota
That didn't seem to do it, but at least I discovered a nice new extension. I am going to try a fresh install of Safari 5. :(

Edit: The fresh install of Safari didn't work either. Any suggestions? Or anyone else experiencing this problem? I'd like to think I'm not the only one with this.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
I don't have any extensions installed, and Cmd+T opens right up with the address bar.

Rico87

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2013
Solved!!

So, all you need to do to solve this is to change your New Tab preferences

Safari>Preferences>General

"New Windows open with:" and "New tabs open with:" from a specific URL to Top Sites.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
So, all you need to do to solve this is to change your New Tab preferences

Safari>Preferences>General

"New Windows open with:" and "New tabs open with:" from a specific URL to Top Sites.

I'm not the original poster, but I was annoyed by this behavior. I had "new tab open with home page" which is google, and it opened with the cursor in the search box. I set it to open with a blank page and now the focus is on the address bar.

Thanks for the tip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.