how to make iPhone 4 more "sellable"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theinspirond, Sep 26, 2012.

1. theinspirond macrumors member

Hey guys, kinda a noobie here, but I'm selling my iPhone 4 (32GB) -- i was wondering what are some things I should do to the phone so I can maximize my profits? This may be a stupid question but I thought I'd ask before creating an ad.

Should I reset then Jailbreak (Cydia/Insallous)? Can I unlock it on my own?
    (again, I'm kind of a noob so I apologize for my lack of knowledge, I tried researching on my own but didn't get very far)

Also, how much should I realistically expect to get for the 4? It has some minor cosmetic defects, and a barely visible scratch on the screen, you could only see it at an angle it doesn't impair your view.

2. yanki01 macrumors 68030

yanki01

might want to check ebay on how much they're going for, locked and unlocked. that should at least give you some starting price.

3. iceman027 macrumors member

4. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Don't jailbreak. Don't update to iOS 6 if you haven't already. I think original packaging is nice. Unlocked is a huge plus if you've had it for two years. Wipe/erase it, have as many original accessories as possible. I think the 32GB 4 is still in high demand. I got $300 for mine the other day. Minor scratches, unlocked, case included, ProClip holder included, 2 weeks of warranty left.

EDIT: sorry, the $300 was in my dreams. In the real world I got $250 for it.

5. Beezzy macrumors 6502

Prob $200-250 honestly. Thats being pretty nice about it. Put it on Craigslist for $250, put pictures up of how it looks, people will try to low ball you whatever you put. So if you want $250, try $275. That's how I put stuff on there and sometime people bite for the price you put up. Having the Box and charging cord w/ Block makes a difference for some people too.

6. theinspirond thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice guys....

I haven't updated the iOS, it's on 5.0.1

How do I unlock it? Do you have a link to a good tutorial?

7. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

I got $525 with $20 shipping on ebay yesterday... White 64GB 4S AT&T unlocked, every accessory unused (phone used, accessories not). Also under AppleCare until October 2013.

And don't bother filling out the unlock request form, just call them it's much faster, you can have it done in 10 minutes.

8. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

I have a 32gb Black factory unlocked iPhone 4 and struggling to get even $200 for it. instantsale.ebay.com will give as much as $200 which I think is the best deal right now. No issues to deal with on craigslist and they fund it right into paypal.

9. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Including the original box, charger, headphones, and having the phone unlocked is always better than a bare phone with no accessories.

I just sold my iPhone 4 32gb unlocked on AT&T for $250 (original asking price $300). Sold with 2 hours locally and with cash. That was a good, average selling price for the same model iPhone in my area.

Offering all the accessories and having it unlocked will give you a leg up against those that don't. And will get a sale faster.

10. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Is there a certain number to call to have them unlock it, or do we just go through normal customer service?

I think I'm going to go the instantsale.ebay.com route as well. I really don't want to deal with Craigslist, and Gazelle.com is lowballing on the price.

11. theinspirond thread starter macrumors member

Hey I found this article explaining the process as mentioned above, I believe, http://techland.time.com/2012/04/11/unlock-an-att-iphone-in-5-easy-steps/

"Dial (800) 331-0500, or 611 from an AT&T phone...When the system asks what phone number you’re calling about, you can give your current number even if you’re unlocking a different phone"

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I'm not being snarky, but to figure out how best to word your ad just go on craigslist and read a bunch of ads. Just make yours similar to the ones that appealed to you.

13. theinspirond thread starter macrumors member

Dammm.. $525 is great, although you do pretty much have it all included, unlike me :(..

Hopefully I can find a pair of unused headphones lying around and can induce them with my $100 Mac App store gift card and 2 iPhone 4 cases...

14. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

I just called the regular CS number. They will ask for your IMEI number then tell you to restore in iTunes. Done.

15. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I was about to say I think 300 is in your dreams. I asked for 300 not because I thought I'd get it but because so many people were asking that much or more on Craigslist even though I thought they were on crack I did so just in case I was the one who was wrong.

Not a peep from anyone, even scammers.

----------

Note the guy didn't read your post, that was a 64 GB 4 *S* which is definitely worth more than the 4 (for one thing if people do want iOS6 it actually gets most of the benefits where the 4 gets few of the benefits).

16. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Oops, you are correct. Posted before I had my caffeine Mine is a 4S. FWIW, I sold my 64GB white 4, for $350 the day the 4S came out... if that means anything today i dunno.

17. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Sounds about right. These little guys lose about $100 a year.

18. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Are you sure that was a 64GB? I'm pretty sure the 4 didn't have a 64GB cause i would have totally bought that if it were available when I got my 4 (I was pissed they only offered 32 GB still at the time).

19. appswipe macrumors 6502

I usually sell old gear online and do really well by adding a bunch of accessories to pad the perceived value. But in a market as flooded as this then I decided to just get trade in value. for my 32GB 4S then Amazon Trade In ($395) and Best Buy Trade ($354) offered the best value but they pay in a gift card. EBay trade in is decent and they pay through PayPal so you might want to look if these options may fit your expectations better.

20. Sheza macrumors 65816

Sheza

I sold my unlocked iPhone 4 (16GB) that has a flawless screen but a scratched glass back for $290

21. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Haha, no im not sure about anything, all I know is that it was the largest available.

22. theinspirond thread starter macrumors member

How much do you guys think a 3GS could possibly go for lol

23. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

A good condition 3GS will get you $120 bucks on Amazon.com trade in.

24. theinspirond thread starter macrumors member