How to make it so my music is in iTunes ON MBP but movies and tv in external?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by backinblack875, Jul 2, 2012.

1. backinblack875 macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

so i just got a new RMPB. i have all my iTunes media moved over successfully with the media folder stored on external HD. now i realize id want music on here so i can listen without HD, but movies/tvshows still on HD to save space on my mbp.

any idea how to do this?

2. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

Go to preferences in itunes. In Advanced untick "add media files to itunes library". Add your movie files. (command + O)

Tick the "add media files" back again.

Itunes will remember movie files location.

3. backinblack875 thread starter macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

there is no "add media files to itunes library" ?? just whats in this pic...also keep in mind everything is already on the external HD in the media folder, so if i have to remove them please mention!!

Attached Files:

4. quasinormal, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012

quasinormal macrumors 6502a

Pardon me. It is "Copy media files to itunes library" just under keep itunes organised.

I didn't realise you still had your stuff still on an external drive.

You'll need to delete your movies from itunes. Keep the files obviously or do it without the hd plugged in.

Change the itunes media file location back to your mbp.

Copy your music folder in the itunes media folder on your external hd to your home music folder - just replace the empty music folder in your mbp's home folder.

Untick the "Copy files to itunes media folder when adding to library"

Add your movie files to itunes. Don't forget to retick the copy files setting.

I should have explained. I have my music files on an external hd. When i rip a cd without the hd plugged in, itunes places the file in the default music folder on the main hd. Itunes will have no trouble finding files in either location and will play them seemlessly. To find out what files i ripped to the wrong hd i need to go to the music folder in my home folder. I hope that makes some sense.

5. backinblack875 thread starter macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

THANKS! worked great!