How to make Mail.app work "in the clowd" instead of locally

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Snookerman, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Snookerman macrumors 6502

I started using the Mail app, which I found really nice and easy to use. However, I noticed that it seems to work locally (sorry for the wrong terms, don't really know the lingo). For instance, I have a live.com address and I have several folders that I use to store old e-mails. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have access to them through Mail.app and deleting e-mails doesn't actually delete them on my account, only locally on my mac. Are there any settings or permissions I have to change in order for this to happen? I have a few different e-mail providers (live.com, msn.com, gmail.com). Basically, I want Mail to work just like when you log in online.

Sorry if this has been answered before, I tried to search around, but it's hard to phrase the question. I appreciate you help! Thanks!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Use IMAP rather than POP3 to connect to your mail server, and when you create new mailboxes, create them in the section under the mail account name rather than under On My Mac.

3. Snookerman thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! I tried to do that for Live mail, but it didn't work. I searched around and it seems that you need to register to izimail in order to be able to use IMAP. Am I the only one using Live mail on my mac? If there is anyone else, how do you do it? Thanks!

4. Snookerman thread starter macrumors 6502

When I create a new mailbox, I only get to choose between RSS, On my mac and Gmail. There is no Live or Hotmail option. I just want this to work like Windows Live Mail works. Thanks!

5. jdechko macrumors 68040

Sorry, but you're out of luck. Microsoft Live Mail/Hotmail only supports POP3 on Mac email clients.