How to Make Money off of My Iphone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dog352, Jul 13, 2008.

1. dog352 macrumors member

It is activated. I lost my job Friday and I need to sell this thing to make money. Would I have to have a person take over my contract? Can I sell the phone to someone and just take out my sim card?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Maybe you should just take it back. With AT&T you have a 14-day return period. You might have to pay a restock fee, but it is the quickest and surest way of getting most of your money back.

Sorry about your job, I hope you get a new one soon.

3. dog352 thread starter macrumors member

Can I Sell My Iphone 3g even though it is activated?

Can I? I am desperate since I was laid off on Friday

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I hope you didn't lose your job because you waited in line.

5. cwosigns macrumors 65816

You'll need to return the phone from whence it came. If you cancel your account in less than 30 days, you're required to return the phone. If you cancel it after 30 days, you can keep the phone and do with it what you will.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Like I said in the other thread, take it back. You might have to pay a restocking fee, but it is the quickest and surest way to get most of your money back.

7. Nightline macrumors regular

Nightline

That sucks.. Were you new to AT&T? Don't you have 30 days to return it?

I also find it intersting that you posted about this same issue about a year ago.
    :confused::confused:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=331327

8. dog352 thread starter macrumors member

Yes I have 30 days to return it but would like to make some money off of it.

I paid $299 for it. If I cancel the service, can I still keep the phone or will they make me pay more for it?

9. harodude macrumors regular

Hey, sorry to hear about your job man.

You could probly just pay that restocking fee, but you could also throw it up on craigslist and easily get $700 +.

Were you already an ATT customer though, that is the big question??? If so, just cancel the data plan and throw your old phone onto that line with your iPhone 3G sim chip and you should be all set. In this situation, you could sell the iPhone and make more than you would just returning it.

10. Nightline macrumors regular

Nightline

I am not an expert on AT&T and their rate plans, so I cant give you a definite answer, but I would think they should be able to work with you.. especially if you tell them you were laid off on the same day you bought it. Not sure if you had time or not, but may have been a good idea to go back to the store on Friday.

Good luck with that though.

11. dog352 thread starter macrumors member

So if I take my SIM chip out, everything will be okay? the person I sell it to can just get a new sim chip and activate it?

12. harodude macrumors regular

That is correct.

I actually sold my phones on friday and the buyers had no problems with just inserting their own sims in and activating themselves. It is pretty simple.

If you have ebay, and a little bit of time. That may be the route to go because people are getting in the $1000 for some phones right now.

Good luck!

13. gibbyparada macrumors newbie

There is something weird to this guy.....

I don't know, your request sees fishy, especially since you say you want to make a profit, instead of what you got for it... yeah, uh huh.......;)

14. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

Well if you want to make a profit out of it you are kinda late but still if you hurry up put it on Ebay and get 800 although they were selling for $1500+ yesterday today they were selling for 800 +- but time is running out and if prices fall it wont help you since rememebr you have to pay the termination fee too.

15. dog352 thread starter macrumors member

hardoude, but did you activate it yourself first? I activated mine already. I hope that doesn't stop others from activating it. Nothing fishy here, just want to make a little extra money to pay my bills.

There is no termination fee to pay if I terminate it within 2 days.

16. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

Still if you want profit sell it in less than 1-3 days because how things are going prices are gonna stabilize in 1 week or two in the nest day probably the top you will get i s like 700-800 also in july 17 some country are having officially and that will help ebay sells go down a little.

17. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

If you terminate in the first month, you have to return the phone. And this is not an acceptable place to sell your phone.

18. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

Also adding to thins reply dont do the meial thing best place is ebay for now, and yes if you don return the phone you have to pay a fee t hat right now even gaining 800 for the phone the profit will be like 100 +- that is why i told you you are kinda late ...

19. dog352 thread starter macrumors member

Ah, how much is the "fee" that I would have to pay if I terminated my contract and don't return the phone?

20. pfish macrumors member

I wondered the same thing.

21. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

i am really not sure but i rea in this forums for not returning the phone is like 100+ you should call att, also i dont know how terminating the contract will apply another fee

22. dog352 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks with all your answers. I know this post seems desperate but if you were just laid off (no fault of your own) and have mouths to feed you would understand. My ebay account is past due. I could pay that now but wouldn't be able to post until tomorrow when the worth price would be less. I did put it on Craigslist.

23. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

Just check ebay and see if prices still worth the time, but until july 17th you have a chance fo getting over 700+ maybe lucky and get 1k?? just wish you luck.

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Personally if it were me, I would take the sure bet and take it back to AT&T or Apple. Good luck, I hope you find a new job soon.

25. Soreo macrumors regular

Soreo

You do seem really fishy, actually.
    Why did you post this a year ago?
    What's your deal?
    huh?
    HUH?
    haha. Just messing.
    ... or am I?