Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
This seems like it should be relatively easy to do, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

I took alot of nice shots at a friend's wedding. I'd like to give the couple a copy of their photos on CD, but I also thought it would be nice to have it be playable on DVD - I'd like to make a slide show of the photos, in other words, possibly with a background soundtrack, that would be playable on a DVD player.

I would think there's a way to do this with iPhoto (I edit/manage my photos with different software b/c iPhoto is slow on my Pismo running 10.2). I'd like to be able to have a CD that, if put in a DVD player, could play the slide show, and also could store the jpg photos for use on a computer.

If anyone would be willing to post a step-by-step mechanism for doing this, they'd have my heartfelt thanks, and that of the happy couple. :)

Dave

Pseudonym

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2004
Old Blighty
I've done this, but I used Toast 6 to burn the final VCD. I'm also running iPhoto 4.

In iMovie create a new album by clicking on the + button towards the bottom left. Then drag the photos you want to that album and drop them in. You can then get them into an order you like. Then click on the slideshow icon at the bottom which allows you to choose music from iTunes. The in the file menu select export and export to Quicktime.

Then I opened up toast and dragged the movie into the video tab and burnt the VCD.

There maybe a cheaper app that will burn to VCD than Toast. Anyone else know of one?

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
you could try VCD builder.

http://download.com.com/3000-2182-10211612.html?tag=lst-0-1

Publisher's Description

VCD Builder is a free program for Mac OS X for creating VCD and SVCD disc images from pictures and MPEG movies. The disc images can then be burned onto a CD-R using Toast or MissingMediaBurner. VCD Builder automatically converts your pictures to a VCD compatible format. It does however not convert your QuickTime movies to MPEG; you have to use another program for that.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Originally posted by evil_santa
you could try VCD builder.

http://download.com.com/3000-2182-10211612.html?tag=lst-0-1

Publisher's Description

VCD Builder is a free program for Mac OS X for creating VCD and SVCD disc images from pictures and MPEG movies. The disc images can then be burned onto a CD-R using Toast or MissingMediaBurner. VCD Builder automatically converts your pictures to a VCD compatible format. It does however not convert your QuickTime movies to MPEG; you have to use another program for that.

If I'm using a built-in CD-RW drive, do I need Toast or MMB to burn the VCD files?

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Pseudonym said:
I've done this, but I used Toast 6 to burn the final VCD. I'm also running iPhoto 4.

In iMovie create a new album by clicking on the + button towards the bottom left. Then drag the photos you want to that album and drop them in. You can then get them into an order you like. Then click on the slideshow icon at the bottom which allows you to choose music from iTunes. The in the file menu select export and export to Quicktime.

Then I opened up toast and dragged the movie into the video tab and burnt the VCD.

There maybe a cheaper app that will burn to VCD than Toast. Anyone else know of one?

You mean use iPhoto. But, yeah it worked well--thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.