How to make web site think I'm not on mobile Safari

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ycoidi2000, Sep 2, 2011.

1. ycoidi2000 macrumors member

This has bugged me for a while, but with the recent Hurricane Irene, this has totally put me over the edge!

When I go to my power company's web site there is a lovely page that shows specifically where outages are located (from my computer). From my iPhone, the site will only show me a "mobile" page, without any options for viewing the full site. That mobile site only told me how many people were out in my county...not the information I wanted.

So...the fundamental question is...how do I "trick" web sites into thinking I'm not on a mobile browser? Is this even possible?

Thanks!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you want to use Safari, you must jailbreak. There are 3rd party browsers that can trick the website into thinking you are on a desktop machine.

3. ycoidi2000 thread starter macrumors member

Are you saying there are 3rd party browsers that will trick websites without jailbreaking? If so, which ones?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'm not too sure. But I think AtomicBrowser and CloudBrowse can do it. The thing you want to change is the user agent.

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

The latest update of Atomic will access every site I've gone to thus far, as a full site, not mobile. It's actually a great browser.

6. ycoidi2000 thread starter macrumors member

7. yanez1971, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2013

yanez1971 macrumors newbie

Mercury Browser

I have tried many alternative browsers on iPad and iPhone, specifically for avoiding the sites to re-direct to their mobile ones.
    I think that Mercury is at the top of the list and I always recommend it to new iOS users.
    Just open the preferences within the browser and go to -> "User Agent".
    Nevertheless, it's really annoying that Safari itself cannot be set to navigate the sites without being redirected, especially on iOS 6 for iPhone.

8. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

Looks pretty cool. Thanks for the recommendation.

9. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

is it just me or has anyone else noticed the increase of brand new registrants bumping very old threads.

10. b2051758 macrumors newbie

Yeah me too, haha. Ive always used the user agent faker add on in cydia with safari and its worked great. No need for another browser. Plus it has a sbsettings toggle for quick changing on and off!

11. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

Yes, me too. But for most looks like they are finally getting resolutions.

AND most importantly it tells me people are investing time to searching rather than creating a new post. Gotta kinda pick your poison. Either new people get yelled at for not searching or get yelled at for raising an old thread from the dead. ;)