How to migrate all my iTunes apps, music video from Windows to MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GamerDad, Feb 24, 2011.

1. GamerDad macrumors member

I have about 250 Gb of iTunes Apps, music and video on my Windows based PC. I am making the switch to Mac, and have just purchased one of the new macbook pros. Is there an easy way to migrate all this data? Will the MBP read a NTSF formatted drive? Do I need to copy it all to a FAT formatted drive? Obviously re-downloading this is out of the question - that would take weeks. Any simple ways of doing this?

2. intelgrande macrumors member

I just got my first Mac, so I'm not totally sure the easiest way, but I have a network setup and made a shared drive on the Windows (Vista) machine, then connected to that via Finder and just copied the iTunes folder over. I don't have any apps, and I'm actually doing the files individually because I'm re-tagging everything, but I'd assume since the library uses XML and the files are the same, you could just copy-paste everything.

3. Rellikard macrumors newbie

If you chose the option to let iTunes organize your library for you, copy the main iTunes folder to an external hard drive, on the new Mac paste it in the same folder as the pre-install iTunes there and it'll ask to overwrite. Do so and it should replace w/e settings, music, apps, w/e with the ones from your old library.

Done it quite a few times but mainly from PC>PC or Mac>Mac but should work since the file extensions are the same.