How to minimize apps by double clicking at top of windows.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Scottsdale, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

After I reinstalled Snow Leopard I cannot double click on top of a window to minimize it. What do I do to re-activate that? I used to double click at top of any window/app and it would minimize.

What have I done? What setting do I change?

2. waffles123 macrumors regular

Go to System Preferences>Appearance> and check "Double click a window's title bar to minimize."

3. JeffMonty macrumors member

System Preferences --> Appearance

Check "Double-click a window's title bar to minimize"

4. Scottsdale thread starter macrumors 601

Scottsdale

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

What's wrong with a single click on the yellow button?

6. Hacklemoose macrumors newbie

What's wrong with it?

Well now Gregg, that is easy to explain:
    Single clicking a tiny yellow button is to demanding on the rest of us.
    We prefer a loong line -called 'window title bar'- to double click. We consider it less challenging than painstakingly aiming for the ever so tiny yellow dot. Up in the left corner I believe it tends to reside.

On the other hand, what is wrong with double clicking the title bar?
    Why change a brilliant setting?

Thanks btw for both asking the question and answering it, just what I was looking for.

7. Scottsdale thread starter macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I think it's shear genius to eliminate ALL buttons if possible. I enjoy double clicking as it's less time consuming than trying to hit the little yellow button. If I could redesign it, I would change to the following:
    1. Eliminate red, yellow, and green buttons.
    2. Single click to open to full screen.
    3. Double click to minimize.
    4. Triple click to close.

The wasted buttons are gone as they should be. Really, I would prefer much more customization of how the user interacts with the OS. It seems to make sense for us to have many ways to customize the way we interact with OS X. I know some think what we have is sufficient but I would go for a far simpler approach that would be complex to each individual to design initially, but much easier for us individually to interact with the OS.

Just think of all the things you would do; now that's what Apple is missing. I can come up with 20 ideas just in a few minutes.

I don't understand why trackpads aren't doing far more actions than currently programmed to do. Think about how could be programmed to do certain functions within each application. Watching a video? Jump right to where you want by dragging finger along top or bottom of trackpad and move horizontally to the desired place... why do we need forward and reverse buttons. How about customizing gestures to do certain tasks.

I just feel like the way we interact with the computer is far too elementary. I would aim for simplicity of viewing yet reward ingenuity to improve the speed of interacting with the computer. I think the trackpad is genius for the Mac notebooks and don't understand why Apple doesn't make trackpads for desktops... BUT furthermore, Apple isn't even capitalizing on all the potential uses for interacting with the computer. There is so much room for customization that is completely missed.

Apple wants simplicity, so use the simple elements currently in use as a basic setup. However, advanced customization could be available for those who are up to the task. Some people just aren't ready for "change," but others of us are willing to embrace change for a better computing experience.

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

How about elongating the three buttons so that they are easier to hit? I have no trouble with the circular buttons as they are, but I suppose it's an issue for some users.