How to monitor/review my Mac's activities?

Tymmz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Hi,

I was wondering if there is an application which allows me to see what my Mac does when I'm not at home.

e.g. After work I want to see if someone took my Mac for their personal use while I was away. And I would like to see what that person did with it.

cheers

Tymmz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Probably a mix of the "last" command and Console logs.

How many users are on this machine?
It's just me, but I believe others are using it without my knowledge. I could just log out when I leave home, but I would like to surprise the others with hard evidence, in case I'm right.

I don't have anything to hide, but they could at least ask, before using my Mac.

How do I get into the logs?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
It's just me, but I believe others are using it without my knowledge. I could just log out when I leave home, but I would like to surprise the others with hard evidence, in case I'm right.

I don't have anything to hide, but they could at least ask, before using my Mac.
If you have a static IP you can always ssh in and see if someone is using your machine.

Tymmz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
If you have a static IP you can always ssh in and see if someone is using your machine.
If they use the computer it's probably only for a short time, they are probably very snoopy and just want to lurk around. (hopefully I used the words "snoopy" and "lurk" properly)

So is there maybe a way to review my Mac's logs from today?

Tymmz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Running the "last" command in Terminal reads /var/logs/wtmp which will show who has logged in and reboots.
That's the problem, I guess. I was/am always logged in and it never got rebooted. Why should they. Once they open the lid the computer is running.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
That's the problem, I guess. I was/am always logged in and it never got rebooted. Why should they. Once they open the lid the computer is running.
Isn't there an application that snaps a quick snapshot via iSight every time a Mac is opened?

If you want to see what happened earlier today, you might try opening a Terminal session and typing:
grep "wake from sleep" /var/log/system.log

On my MacBook Pro, this shows everytime that it was "awakened" today.

Tymmz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Isn't there an application that snaps a quick snapshot via iSight every time a Mac is opened?

If you want to see what happened earlier today, you might try opening a Terminal session and typing:
grep "wake from sleep" /var/log/system.log

On my MacBook Pro, this shows everytime that it was "awakened" today.
Sorry, no iSight available.

How do I grep (?) "wake from sleep"? EDIT: never mind!