How to move all my Itunes music files in diff folders into one other folder?

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by shankar2, Jul 23, 2017.

1. shankar2 macrumors 6502

Hi, so yesterday I manually downloaded all my music files in Itunes Match cloud, to my mac's harddrive.

Unfortunately (poor design IMHO), all the music files are sorted by album kind and what not. So it's a total mess of differently named folders and different music files (different formats as well). All enclosed under one parent folder.

So, my question is how to extract all these music files in different folder into one single folder? Just wanna backup all these music files in one folder only.

I'm using Macos Sierra latest patch. Please assist. Thanks!
    --- Post Merged, Jul 23, 2017 ---
    So I added an applescript to Automator on my sierra mac and ran the following script but got no results:

====
    tell application "Finder"
    move (every file of every folder of folder "Macintosh HD:Users:Top:Documents:iTunes:iTunes Media:Music:Music") to (folder "Macintosh HD:Users:Top:Documents:Backup:Music Backup")
    end tell
    ====

The automator executed the script but no files were moved! why? :-(

2. Lunder89 macrumors regular

Lunder89

You can do this in automator without the need for scripting. Here is the recipe:
    1. First action: Either Ask for finderitems or drag the parent folder into Automator to get the action Get referred finderitems (I think that is what it is called in English, not sure, I have to translate everything from my native language)
    2. Add the action Get folder contents, check the checkbox Repeat for every found subfolder
    3. Add the action Filter Finderitems, the choose type to be music, that should find all music files
    4. Add the action copy Finderitems, and choose the folder to where you want them copied
    At this point you can run the workflow.