How to move all the application windows to the MBP's main LCD?

hajime

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello. I was using the MBP with an external LCD screen last night. I watched TV on the external LCD while having another application displayed on the MBP's screen. The main desktop was set up in a way that whenever the MBP is connected to the external monitor, the main desktop is displayed on the large external monitor. Now I am on the street. Even I rebooted the Mac, the application is automatically opened in another display which I cannot see. I know this because when I clicked minimizing the window on the menu bar, I saw the application window minimizing from the right edge of the MBP's screen to the dock. I went to system environment->display. There are two options at the bottom. One for collecting all the windows and the other is for searching for display. I have tried both options but the application window does not move to the MBP's LCD. What can I do to bring the application window back to the MBP screen while on the road? The application is opened but I cannot see it under Space. Using the trick of lowering the MBP's LCD resolution and then increasing it again does not work. (It worked yesterday when a very small part of the application window appeared at the edge of the MBP's screen.) I am using MAc OS X 10.6.8. Thanks.

Last edited:

Elbert C

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
AK, USA
Apple menu > System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement tab, choose Mirror Displays. The opened app should now be seen on your MBP lcd screen.

hajime

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Apple menu > System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement tab, choose Mirror Displays. The opened app should now be seen on your MBP lcd screen.
Thanks. Is the problem due to Mac OS or the application?

hajime

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello. I am on the road and have the same problem again. When I read your reply (at home), I could see the "Arrangement tab". When the MBP is on the road, I only see the "Display" and "Color" tabs.

Before I left home, I intentionally moved the application window from the external monitor desktop to the desktop on the MBP's LCD. This problem should not happen again. However, when I just turned on my MBP on the road, the application window hides to the invisible desktop again. Rebooting the machine does not help...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.