How to move from iPhone 3 to iPhone 4S without computer.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by srowndedbyh2o, Sep 27, 2012.

1. srowndedbyh2o macrumors regular

I have a friend that still has an iPhone 3 and wants to upgrade to an iPhone 4S. He does not have a computer and I don’t believe the iPhone 3 can use iCloud. How does he get all his apps, photos, etc. (no music) from his iPhone 3 to an iPhone 4S?

2. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

iPhone 3G or the 3GS? I assume that you mean the 3G, since it doesn't support iOS 5 or above, you can't use iCloud backup. You can only sync your apps, back up to iTunes and restore to the new iPhone.

The 3GS can be upgraded to iOS 6.0 and therefore supporting iCloud.

3. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

I think he's out of luck with the photos unless he can somehow plug his iPhone 3 into a computer somewhere and copy them off. His apps should be available to reinstall from the app store on the 4S if he logs in using the Apple ID he used when he used to sync the iPhone 3. He will lose all app data and settings however.

I'm assuming he's running iOS 4.x or lower on the 3...

4. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

Dropbox app. That will take care of your photos. A computer, any computer is needed for the rest. Given its age i would recommend starting fresh on the 5 and using Dropbox for your pics. Then use something like disk aid on a computer to transfer game saves.

5. srowndedbyh2o thread starter macrumors regular

Your replies confirm what I thought.
    Yes, it is an iPhone 3 (no “s”).
    He says he has never synced his phone with any computer. Never used iTunes. All apps were downloaded directly to his phone. Dropbox sounds like a good choice for photos and data, and as was suggested, his new phone should be able to download previously purchased apps once signed in to the app store on the new phone.
    Thanks for the help.