Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2009
As an amateur photographer, I often take RAW photos. Sometimes I'm on the road and would like to transfer my photos to my FileHub Plus, which basically provides a shared folder on its private wifi network (and I have a regular USB hard drive connected to it).

I tried different scenarios:
  • select my pictures in the Photos app and "share" them to the Files app (which allows me to browse the network through the FileBrowser app integration). Only the .jpeg version is copied to my shared folder.

• use the FileBrowser app to move the files to the network. Unfortunately, they only allow you to "copy" files from the photo library (and not "move"). After I'm done copying hundreds of files, I loose my selection and have to re-select them for deletion. It's almost impossible to remember which one I selected. I wrote them an email and they said they will not add a "move" feature.

• use the ProCam 6 app (which I use to take raw photos) to select and share pictures. For some reason, when I share them to FileBrowser, only the first picture is sent over. When I send them to the Files app instead, it transfers the file correctly, but I have no feedback on the transfer process (I have no idea when they are done copying). Then I also loose my selection and have to re-select everything for deletion.

• using the Shortcuts app and create a macro that to select pictures, send them to the Files app and then have the selected pictures deleted. But here again, since the pictures are selected through the Photos app, only jpeg files are being selected.
The real problem is finding an app that will let me move files in one single step. I'm running out of ideas. Any other technique you can think of?

uniquexoxo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2018
South East Asia
Would you mean copy the HEIF version of your photos? If so just go to Settings > Photos > Keep Originals (On the Transfer To Mac or PC menu)
It should copy the heif version

OBirder

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
I don’t know if I follow you completely. In any case would the following work?

Use the stock Photos App.

Create one time a new Album e.g. “Transfer”.

1. Go the stock Photos App. Select Albums and “See All”. Scroll the list and you should find an entry “ProCam RAW”. Here are the RAW Files in the Stock App. If you just select them outside this Album you may have the .jpg’s instead of RAW

2. Select the photos within this Album you want to move and add them to the “Transfer” Album

3. Go to the “Transfer” Album and select all. Share to your Files App.
This should a) copy the RAW files and not .jpg and b) all of them and not just the first one

4. Go to the “Transfer” Album and select all. Hit the Trashcan and confirm “Delete” and not just remove.

Comments.
The ProCam App is only copying the first selected photo to the Files App. I typically AirDrop them to my Mac and it does all of them.

In the stock photo App when you add them to the blank “Transfer” Album it will not double the space. This is the advantage of the new Apple File System. It will only create a link entry.
You use this step to be able to delete all of them with select all, since the selection is lost after the copy. You will be asked if you want to remove from the Album or Delete.

Let us know if this is what you were looking for and if it does work for you.

Last edited:

kag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2009
Thank you for the great suggestion of adding specific photos to a temporary album (on which I can "select all") and working on that album. I shouldn't have to jump through hoops like that, but in the meantime, it works perfectly!

OBirder

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
Thank you for the great suggestion of adding specific photos to a temporary album (on which I can "select all") and working on that album. I shouldn't have to jump through hoops like that, but in the meantime, it works perfectly!

I agree, it would be nice if they would a) allow to move and b) keep the selection after an action was taken.

However for now it's the best available and once you get used to it, doesn't add too many clicks/steps. Actually you may want to copy it to two locations (as backup strategy) before you delete and that would be easy with temporary album.

Der Keyser

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2016
This is exactly why iOS is no good for serious work. 12 major releases in, and they still does not allow basic workflow procedures to be done on iOS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.