Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

im-MAC-ulate

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2011
Hey all,

I got blindsided at midnight on pre-order day at VZW when I couldn't find the $60 unlimited voice/text & 2gb data single line plan and lost my sept 19th order..even trying to preorder now at Apple.com/VZW.com doesn't allow me to find that plan.

How do you even elect to order a iPhone 6 with that plan? What about in store at Apple on launch day? Any idea? Thank you!

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2007
Just do whatever plan then call CS to change after the phone is activated. Also, make sure you ask for it to be backdated to avoid proration.

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2007
It's not online because VZW makes way more money from the More Everything plan, and the 2GB is promotional through 9/30.

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
Just do whatever plan then call CS to change after the phone is activated. Also, make sure you ask for it to be backdated to avoid proration.

this is my plan, and you seem to be in the know based on the other thread, so if i you can calm this nervous fellow:

- is there any reason they will refuse to make the change for me prior to the 30th?

- is there any reason they couldn't do it prior to activation? (my phone is set to arrive on friday so i wouldn't mind having that hurdle out of the way if possible)

joshwithachance

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2009
When you get your phone activated, just call up Verizon and have them change over the plan for you. They will have no issues doing it.

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2007
this is my plan, and you seem to be in the know based on the other thread, so if i you can calm this nervous fellow:

- is there any reason they will refuse to make the change for me prior to the 30th?

- is there any reason they couldn't do it prior to activation? (my phone is set to arrive on friday so i wouldn't mind having that hurdle out of the way if possible)

Verizon cannot change the plan prior to the phone being activated. It's a system limitation. If there is a pending order on the account, no changes can be made. You will have to wait until the phone is actually fully activated (can make calls / data) prior to calling and have them change it.

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
Verizon cannot change the plan prior to the phone being activated. It's a system limitation. If there is a pending order on the account, no changes can be made. You will have to wait until the phone is actually fully activated (can make calls / data) prior to calling and have them change it.

thanks for the explanation. but, should i be fearful of them not changing it for me? i'm assuming they want my business and don't want me to cancel within the 14 period and return to ATT.

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2007
thanks for the explanation. but, should i be fearful of them not changing it for me? i'm assuming they want my business and don't want me to cancel within the 14 period and return to ATT.

They cannot deny such a request. It's not a customer specific promotion.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
Hmmm...I wasn't aware of this plan.

I'm locked into my current plan until the end of December. I'm guessing there's no way I could cancel my current plan and sign up under this plan without losing my current phone #? In order to upgrade to the new iPhone with subsidized pricing.

Or, if I just wanted to switch over to this plan to take advantage of the pricing (it's about $20/mo cheaper than what I'm on now), could I just call them up and have them switch me off my current plan to this one?

Is there any way to get a simple view of my monthly data useage over an extended period of time to see if 2GB would be sufficient? I can log into my Verizon account and see the current month's useage, and I could probably pull up my old bills one by one and see, but a graph showing monthly useage over a 6-12 month period would be nice.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
So glad I saw this posting. I just called Verizon and knocked my bill down $30. In addition to the unlimited talk/text and 2GB plan for $60 they also have unlimited talk/text and 1GB for $50.

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
They cannot deny such a request. It's not a customer specific promotion.

thanks. hopefully, it will be an easy phone call and transition in their system.

----------

So glad I saw this posting. I just called Verizon and knocked my bill down $30. In addition to the unlimited talk/text and 2GB plan for $60 they also have unlimited talk/text and 1GB for $50.

are you already a verizon customer under contract on a 5S, or 5, or is this for a iPhone 6 or 6+?

wow: i didn't know about the $50 for 1gb option. it might be something worth thinking about (i've typically been a 700-800mb user)...although since these are promotions, i may be better off locking into the 2gb one.

reverberlayed

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2014
Hmmm...I wasn't aware of this plan.

I'm locked into my current plan until the end of December. I'm guessing there's no way I could cancel my current plan and sign up under this plan without losing my current phone #? In order to upgrade to the new iPhone with subsidized pricing.

Or, if I just wanted to switch over to this plan to take advantage of the pricing (it's about $20/mo cheaper than what I'm on now), could I just call them up and have them switch me off my current plan to this one?

Is there any way to get a simple view of my monthly data useage over an extended period of time to see if 2GB would be sufficient? I can log into my Verizon account and see the current month's useage, and I could probably pull up my old bills one by one and see, but a graph showing monthly useage over a 6-12 month period would be nice.

You're not locked into your plan. You can change the plan at any time. Call and they will change it. They can't "back-date" it because it is cheaper than current plan so it will begin at the beginning of the next billing cycle.

For usage, if you go to the main screen on My Verizon and click on "View my usage" under the heading "Manage my account" you should see a picture of a graph/picture entitled "analyze your usage."

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2007
You're not locked into your plan. You can change the plan at any time. Call and they will change it. They can't "back-date" it because it is cheaper than current plan so it will begin at the beginning of the next billing cycle.

For usage, if you go to the main screen on My Verizon and click on "View my usage" under the heading "Manage my account" you should see a picture of a graph/picture entitled "analyze your usage."

They very well can back date the plan. Some times.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ

Thanks for the info.

I just got off the phone with them. I changed my plan from 450/unlimited/2GB to the $60 unlimited/unlimited/2GB plan.

My old bill was $89.99/mo before taxes/fees, but I also had a 15% employer discount.

The new plan is $60/mo before taxes/fees, but I was told that since it is a "Loyalty" plan employer discounts don't apply.

I have to imagine that even without the 15% off I was receiving with my employer discount that this new plan is still going to be cheaper after it is all said and done.

reverberlayed

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2014
They very well can back date the plan. Some times.

Yes they can, when you are changing to a more expensive plan. They aren't going to let you be on say a 4GB plan for half the month and then let you downgrade to 2GB. However, if you were on a 2GB plan and were using a lot of data, you can back-date to 4GB.

I only know this because I used to work for Verizon in a call center.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
Outstanding! Thanks!

Yup!

FYI these are only 12 month promo's. I'm guessing after 12 months you'll have to change to another plan that is being offered at that time. I asked the rep how that would work but she didn't really have much for answers, just stated that I should receive a notification a month or two in advance and I would have to sign up for whatever plan they're offering at the time that I wanted.

xXxDieselxXx

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2012
Yup!

FYI these are only 12 month promo's. I'm guessing after 12 months you'll have to change to another plan that is being offered at that time. I asked the rep how that would work but she didn't really have much for answers, just stated that I should receive a notification a month or two in advance and I would have to sign up for whatever plan they're offering at the time that I wanted.

So there is the catch :(

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I will go and check how this $50 will look like after a year. Trying to hook up my wife into smartphones

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.