How to organize all of my media on my Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by realhiphop, Jun 22, 2010.

1. realhiphop macrumors member

I have a 15" late 2008 MBP. The primary usages for my computer are: internet, and watching recorded TV shows from my laptop to my TV (I have my MBP hooked up into my TV).

Given that I want to store all of my DVD's on my computer, and I also download and watch TV shows (in .mkv format) on my computer, I'm looking for some advice on how to best use my MBP to organize, and watch tv shows.

My questions are to people who have similar usages/setups on their MBP:

1. Did you upgrade the HD for storage? If so, what size do you have?
    2. What program do you use to manage your media? Since the files are in .mkv format, I can't use iTunes (which I use for music and audiobooks).
    3. Is their a better HD format than .mkv to watch these in? Would I be better off converting into iTunes compatible format?

Thanks everyone for the help!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

1TB is the biggest HDD you can fit into the 10/2008 MBPs (and all following Aluminium Unibody MBPs).
    And no, I have external storage for that.

I use a folder structure in Finder, one folder for films, one for series, one for documentaries and so on.
    I have several subfolder for specialization, like series name and season or genre or whatever floats my boat.
    I currently have 700+ GB on ripped DVDs (movies, series and documentaries), this I still have some kind of plan. Even if it is a chaotic one sometimes.

No, unless you really want to use iTunes.
    But VLC Player and Movist are capable video player, even for HD video.
    .mkv files play best via Movist.

3. realhiphop thread starter macrumors member

Would this question be best served in the Apple TV/media forum?