how to organize dozens of open webpages in Chrome or Safari (browser is overwhelmed)?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by beethovengirl, Sep 9, 2012.

1. beethovengirl macrumors regular

Hi,

I tend to maximize entropy, and I like to have dozens of webpages open at any given time relating to various issues of interest (like buying a car, finding a high interest deposit acct, the news, etc). However, this slows my browser's performance considerably. I'm using the recently released 2.5 GHz MacBook Pro with 8 GB RAM on 10.7.4, and Chrome can't play youtube videos smoothly when I have so many webpages open, so I need some kind of organization scheme to fix this issue. Do you have any suggestions?

I'm open to using Safari or Firefox, though I don't like how Safari decides to reload every single webpage at random times.

thanks for any advice you may have :)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I routinely have up to 30 or more tabs open in Safari and have had no performance problems on a 4 year old MBP with 4GB of RAM. I run several ad-blockers. ClickToFlash, Safari AdBlock, GlimmerBlocker and JavaScript Blocker are just a few.

For Flash-related issues:
    • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
    • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
    • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) Some have reported better performance with HTML5, while some have reported worse. Try it and find out what works best for you.