how to organize itunes movies harry potter?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by backinblack875, Dec 11, 2010.

1. backinblack875 macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

i have the harry potter movies 1-6 in my itunes library and they are not in order according to how they were made....like it goes the second one, then the fourth is next to it, etc..... so its organizing alphabetically which is fine....but is there anyway to organize them according to movie 1, movie2, etc....

thanks....

2. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Changing the video title using "Get info" option wont work? It works for the DVD-to-mp4 movies I have in my iTunes. But I dont have any paid videos bought from itunes so cant say for sure if it'll allow you to change the video info. If it does, you can simply change the names to "Harry Potter 1 - the Philosopher's Stone", "Harry Potter 2 - the Chamber of Secrets".

3. backinblack875 thread starter macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

lmao its sorcerers stone....

ohhhh ya i thought of renaming it to a 1 before them but didnt want them to be at bottom of movie....but i didnt think of Harry potter 1:......, harry potter 2:....., etc...

thanks!

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It's Philosopher's stone in the UK. Sorcerer's stone in the US.

5. backinblack875 thread starter macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

really?? that's weird

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

philosophers stone is the real name ;)

Under 'sorting' put hp1, hp2, hp3 etc. as sort names.

7. backinblack875 thread starter macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

ah like this better, thanks.....under "name" or "sort name"??

EDIT: NEVER MIND got it thanks!

Attached Files:

8. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

9. backinblack875 thread starter macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

haha ya...well u were kinda right...apparently, as the above posters have said, its only in the US its like that...idk why thats weird

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It's because British English is not American English.

11. backinblack875 thread starter macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

so a "philosopher" is a "sorcerer" over there? lol

12. theelysium macrumors 6502a

theelysium

I read that the publishing company didn't think American's would get "philosopher" store. As if we are all so effing stupid. I want to punch that publisher in the face. So, they changed it to "sorcerer" stone to give it more interest and in hopes that Americans would "get it" more. Jerks. I think the name change is insulting. It should be Philosopher's Stone!

However, I changed the sorts name, but it does not make my harry potters go in order. I am also trying to make them go in order, without having to change the movie title. I find this a huge limitation in iTunes. I have the same problem with other things to, TV shows, albums, etc. There needs to be a better sort feature.

----------

I tried to put all the movies in a compilation, but that didn't work.... :mad:

13. theelysium, May 4, 2014
    Last edited: May 4, 2014

theelysium macrumors 6502a

theelysium

Wait! I am a liar!

OK, so... I guess iTunes has to "think" for a bit.

When I went back to see about try something else I noticed that the HPs who's sort order I adjusted were in order, but I had to do this, to make it happen:

Note I also noticed that in the sort order under "Sort Artist" the Director's name is listed, which I think is the main contributor for the monies being out of order.

Attached Files:

14. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

It was a pretty smart title for the U.S. market, and it most likely would have worked in the UK, if it had been released with that name (I doubt it could have hurt its prospects). Even if everyone knew what the Philosopher's Stone is, the title suggests a Medieval alchemist's fruitless quest, rather than a world inhabited by practicing witches and wizards. "Sorcerer's" does a better job of suggesting a key element of the story.

It's not a matter of whether anyone thought the U.S. public is stupid, or anti-intellectual. It's not a question of pandering to the lowest common denominator. A publisher's job is "to make public." It doesn't matter whether the motive is profit or the dissemination of an important idea, the goal is to achieve the widest circulation possible.

Once the Harry Potter brand becomes established, the only thing that matters in the title is "Harry Potter." For the first book in the series? If it's about magic, then say so! If the first does not succeed, there is no second, no less seventh.