How to overcome OSX firmware and install OS9 on Graphite iMac DV SE (G3 400)?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 3DMonkey, Jan 27, 2012.

1. 3DMonkey macrumors newbie

I have an iMac DV Special Edition 400Mhz PowerPC G3 (Graphite) with upgraded 640MB RAM from 2000. It shipped with OS9. I later installed OSX (10.2.8) around 2003 etc.

I had both OS9 and OSX all running perfectly. However, because my HD became full over the years with various software packages and versions affecting performance, I erased the entire HD and formatted it (Extended/HFS+ with OS9 drivers) to do a clean install of both OS9 and OSX.

Now I can only install OSX. The iMac does not recognise the original (orange cds)software restore or install discs that came with the machine. I even have the OS9.2 update disc (orange '9' on white cd) and the iMac does not recognise that either. I have repeatedly erased and formatted the HD to install OS9 in various ways but so far no luck.

According to various people on Mac forums, including this one, OSX has built in to its firmware a lockout for OS9. And from my experience, this seems to be correct. So, does anyone know of a way to overcome this piece of code etc? Bear in mind please that I am not a Mac programmer at all. Thanks.

2. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I have a 350 mhz G3 iMac (the slot loading, not tray loading).
    I've installed OSX and OS 9 on it with no problem.

Whatever is wrong, it isn't OSX in itself.
    It is possible that a firmware update for your machine is stopping the install.

Maybe someone else knows a solution. Sorry...

Good luck.

3. California macrumors 68040

California

You need to partition the drive and put 9 and OSX on the two parts of the drive.

BTW, I believe I have all ten cds for that model iMac 400 DV with the OS9 and early version of OSX (if it shipped with OSX, I am not 100 percent positive.) But I have the iMac DV 400 original orange cd discs. Let me know if you need them.