How to persuade my Dad to let me buy a MacBook Pro with my own money?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MJNBGA, Mar 26, 2011.

1. MJNBGA macrumors regular

Hi,

I am new to this message board. :) I need a new laptop for the new school that I will be going in to. I really want to buy a 13 " MacBook Pro, but my Dad has a crappy refurbished Windows laptop he wants to give me. I want to buy a MacBook Pro with my own money. I've asked him once before about what he thought about my idea and he said no. How can I persuade him to let me buy one? It's not like it is his own money he will be spending. I've talked with him about the pro's and con's and all of that stuff, and he won't budge. :mad: Help! Any tips?

Thanks in advance,
    MJNBGA

2. MJNBGA thread starter macrumors regular

You really think so? Will I be doomed with Windows misery for the rest of my life? :(

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

I believe he was being sarcastic.
    why do you need your dads approval to buy something? - oh yeah you don't. :)

4. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

did you work and make that money or is it the money your dad gives you and you gathered it for some time?
    the thing is, you don't really have your own money until you live alone and pay your own rent. in the other hand he should let you choose your pc i mean especially if you need it for your school.

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Depending on your age you still need his permission. His house, his rules.

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

hunger strike maybe? ... seriously though try to find a good deal on a refurb (tell him you are smart shopping) and also maybe take him to the Apple Store.

Tell him you want this laptop to last you 5 years and the MBP is best suited for longevity.

and finally If he insists you use the PC ... load it up with lots of viruses.

good luck

7. MJNBGA, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2011

MJNBGA thread starter macrumors regular

It's money that I've accumulated from numerous birthdays and other holidays. I still live with my dad.

No refurbs yet on the new MacBook Pro's Maybe I should wait?

8. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

9. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

buy a 2010 MBP ... some of them are $500 dollars off and I am sure it would be more than what you need.

I take it this school you are starting is not Harvard University

10. Cantisama macrumors member

As long as you live with your Dad rent free you should listen to him on financial decisions. If you have to use non-apple hardware then switch to Ubuntu.

11. Apple 26.2, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011

Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Just thinking of something that could help...

Could it be that he doesn't think you're mature enough? Explain the pros of owning a Mac v. Windows to him in a mature, professional manner.

Also, do look at the 2010s... a lot cheaper than the newer ones!

12. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Go on a car ride with your dad, preforably to a place that sells MacBooks but don't say this right away. Use the refurb windows laptop in the front seat, make sure nothing else is on your lap/near you. Tell your dad to get on the highway and specifically leave the door unlocked. When he reaches speed (60-70mph) lean against the door, then quickly thrust it open as if it broke open and toss the laptop onto the road. Do NOT stop to save the laptop simply continue driving to the bestbuy/apple store.

Special notes:
    -Make sure your wearing a seat belt. We just want the laptop destroyed not you. Oh and trust me seat belts will keep you in place, I've been in the car with some pretty dumb people doing some pretty stupid things and I thank my seat belt everyday ;)
    -Tell your dad to get in the lane and make sure the lane on your right does not have too many cars close up.

13. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

Buy him a dvd set of two and a half men and he'll be so happy that he'll do anything to make that up to you. That's Bi-winning

#Winning

14. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

I told my dad that I can not work with a Windows machine and if I get one, the financial savings will not be worth the stress that comes with managing a Windows machine.

This is a man that has seen me pull all nighters during school trying to remove a virus, reformat my hard drive, watch a defrag, take apart my machine --> mod it --> break it --> and attempt to fix it, etc.

And my dad is real big on education and a stress free learning environment and all, so he actually bought me MBP rather than a tricked out Windows machine. We did split it half and half. His half being a grad gift and my half being something I worked for the past 4 years tutoring and etc.

Now trying to convince my dad to allow me to use my own money to buy an SSD + Optibay and an 8GB ram. That's pretty hard haha.

15. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

Perhaps you can partition the hard drive and hackintosh it. It could work out in the end. A bit of a pain. The soney vaio seem to be the more machintosh-esk.

16. MJNBGA thread starter macrumors regular

Can anyone give me a link for refurbished / 2010 MacBook Pros? I am getting mixed up with all of the different generations. :confused: Preferably in Canada or in New Zealand.
    Thanks.

17. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

Just one thought I can't seem to nail down. If he gave you the money, how is it a gift that your unable to buy what you want.:eek: It's shows discipline that you actually showed patience and were able to accumulate the money.;) I'm not dissing your dad, I think I smell a control freak.:( Perhaps he really hates macs like flaming fanboys hate the pc.:cool:

18. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

19. solaris7, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2011

solaris7 macrumors regular

20. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I think it shows a little bit more fear than hate. Not being afraid of Macs but afraid of not knowing Mac OS in general, and not being able to help if something goes awry or perhaps intergrating it into the home network (dispite how easy this may be).

If that's the case, tell pops that you (op) will be in good hands with Apple's (award winning?) customer service, as well as a great user community such as this (except when trolls are looking for kicks).

21. Lloydehhh macrumors member

This.

22. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I think it shows a parent doing a good job.

To the OP, not sure how old you are but your saved money will likely be spent better on something else in the future. Don't go blow it all on a computer, work with what you got at the moment and when it's college time talk to your Dad again.

I know it's bitter advice to hear, but I gotta go with your Dad on this one and just trust his judgement.

23. SidBala macrumors 6502a

It is your dad's decision. Birthday and holiday money does not count.

Besides, the windows laptop will not be too much worse than a MBP. Try living with it.

24. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Position the MBP as an investment by showing how it holds its value (what percentage of price paid is the PC vs a Mac purchased as the same time), has a long life, easier to use.... and try to find a place that has a good deal.

If that doesn't work take him out to a place like Best Buy for something else and have him accidentally walk into the Apple area and start playing. He might fall in love with it and then let it be his idea.

If that doesn't work then I see an accident happening to the PC - those things do break if they fall onto a hard surface especially if you can rig it so it is sitting on the edge of a desk partially hanging off then rub something tasty in the edge so a cat or dog jumps up to lick it while he is in the room and you are not and it takes a fall :)

Other than that, he is your father so for now obey him.