How to piggyback a Airport Extreme off of Verizon Fios router?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NJRonbo, Dec 28, 2008.

1. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

[​IMG]

Hello Everyone!

I am looking for an individual who can spend some time to carefully take me through
    the steps of piggybacking my Apple router off of my new Verizon router (pictured above).

I realize some of the process is discussed earlier in this thread but I found some of it
    difficult to follow, and I think I may have a newer Verizon router than what may have
    been previously discussed. There are also some functions of this Verizon router that
    I cannot have disabled. Will talk about all of that below...

To Begin With

I switched from DirecTV to Verizon Fios this past week. The tech who came to my
    home told me that I would need one of their routers if I wanted the DATA (channel
    text information) transmitted to all the displays in my home. This would mean, of
    course, my Airport Extreme Router would have to go.

Since switching to the Verizon MI424WR router, my Wifi signal at far ends of the
    house constantly goes up and down. This was never a problem with the Apple router.

Need to Piggyback the Apple Router but not disable critical Verizon Functions

I need my Apple Airport Extreme router back.

Problem is, the Verizon router provides critical data information to all my displays. So,
    hopefully there is a method that I can piggyback the Apple Router and turn off the Verizon
    WiFi function without affecting its data transmission to the other televisions.

Simple Instructions Please

I have basic knowledge of setting up and making changes to a router. I usually use
    software to do all the needed settings. However, in the case of the Verizon router I
    am using a MACINTOSH and cannot use their software on my PC. I do have access to
    Windows XP via virtual software (Parallels), but I know the Verizon tech had such a hard
    time accessing the Verizon router using that software and had to resort to the Windows
    laptop he brought.

I am hoping that I can simply bring up an IP address in my browser and make the
    needed changes through that. I am sure I also need to call Verizon and have them
    turn off functions.

If someone would take the time to walk me through the process from hooking up the
    Apple router to one of the ethernet ports on the Verizon router, to making all the
    necessary changes in easy-to-understand language, it would be of great benefit
    to myself and everyone else reading this thread.

Thanks in Advance!

2. mik34 macrumors member

can't help you but, what is the Fios like

Sorry I can't help answer your question. Just wondering what kind of speeds you're getting with the verizon fios.

Hopefully someone else can answer your issue.

3. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Under Airport Utility, select the option "Add Airport Extreme to my current Wireless network" or something to that effect. This should leave your Verizon network unchanged, and allow you to use all features of your AEBS.

I use this setting with both my Express and Extreme base stations and am able to use the Airdisk feature as well as Airtunes.

4. NJRonbo thread starter macrumors 68000

I am getting download speeds of 20mbps

Since piggybacking it on my actiontech router that has dropped
    slightly to 19.5.

I was able to piggyback the Apple router by simply going into
    the Actiontech router, turning off the wireless and then setting
    the Apple Router up as a bridge.

5. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Try it the simple way first -
    Connect the AEBS WAN ethernet to your FIoS router. Use Airport Setup on a Mac to change the AEBS to NOT "Distribute IP addresses." The only other setting you may want to change is the AEBS transmit channel (since you have the FIoS right next to it) - start by changing it to 4. Restart any Mac(s) and find the new AEBS in the wireless connection menu.

6. gotzero macrumors 68040

The FiOS Actiontec router originally violated GPL and got caught. After that, they released a firmware update and the wireless networking was from then on unacceptable for any Mac/*nix machine.
    After the forced firmware update, I got an Airport Extreme which I use a wireless bridge. I would recommend that approach since the Actiontec router is otherwise very nice. I would create the bridge settings from the Actiontec instead of the AEBS, because the AEBS is comparatively a dumb device, and the GUI settings are not very comprehensive.
    Good luck dealing with starting at the red-to-black fade of the Verizon admin page. That background should be used in a human-factors case-study...

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I disabled wireless on my Actiontek router and then for my Airport Extreme, I connected to the Actiontek via Ethernet and configured the AEBS as a wired to wireless bridge by setting a manual IP for the AEBS and disabling DHCP.

8. henrika macrumors newbie

As the replier before me suggest, set it as a bridge. I had a problem when installing the extreme, my dl speed fell flat. The solution to my problem was to set the extreme as a bridge. I guess that is somewhere in the neightborhood of what you could do..
    (see:
    http://forum.vuze.com/thread.jspa?messageID=164559#164559)

"What to do with the airport extreme basestation (new model) is to set it as a bridge. Then each unit on the network will be given an ip adress from the router/modem, write these ip´s down, and config. the units with these. Enter router (I have a Thompson 543, interface very simple) tick of static IP adress to each unit, then the adress will stay the same forever (or until you change them). Then port forward (i used ports 50000 - 50500) to these units, set azureus port to nr between 50000 and 50500, activate firewall in router, that´s it. Current DL is 200 kps, UL 70 on a 5100/1000 link.

To sum it up: Use Airport extreme as bridge if you want to portforward, and use Router/modem from IPS to allocate IP´s to your network unit(s) and portforward on ONE router only
    "

I guess you could set up the extreme as a bridge delivering the wifi signals and let the router from your ISP do the rest.

hope this help