How to play movies on PS3 from flash drive and iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ideal.dreams, Jan 23, 2011.

1. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I'm in a little bit of a dilemma right now. I got a PS3 for Christmas, and figured it'd be an easier way of watching my movies that I have on my computer. So I put the movie on a flash drive, which is formatted to "ms-dos (fat)" from Disk Utility, and plugged it into my PS3. It didn't read it. It doesn't come up as anything. So I called in and the guy I talked to was completely clueless as to what I was trying to do, so after 20 minutes on the phone and getting nowhere, I hung up.

Can anyone tell me how I can successfully play movies on my PS3 from my flash drive? And also, is it possible to play music or view photos from my iPhone 4 while it's plugged in to my PS3?

Thanks.

2. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

As far as your problem with the flash drive, i don't know why u can't see any of your movies. maybe press the triangle button and click on the see all or whatever its called option. And no you can't play music from your iphone thru ur ps3. only usb charging is supported.

3. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I actually found a preference pane that makes my MBP a media server so I can stream pictures, movies, and songs to my PS3.

However, I have seen people use the iPhone on their PS3, and I would have pressed triangle to display all, but my drive wasn't even being recognized. All in all, I got it fixed.

4. Batman Sucks macrumors newbie

Batman Sucks

Not sure on the iPhone/iPod, but for the flash drive or any external drive have you created a folder called "Video" with your videos in that folder? PS3 won't see the videos unless they are in that folder.

Also, check you are trying to play content in a format the PS3 supports?

5. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

It should still come up as "USB Drive" under Music, etc. It's not even being recognized. If it was at least recognized then I could find the videos I need through the 'display all' option.