How to prevent apps from persisting in the dock? I only want those I add manually.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by madsylar, Jul 30, 2013.

1. madsylar macrumors member

Hi,

Some apps, for some reason ( I'm unable to replicate ), get added to the dock as if I were to add them manually. Evernote for example, is an app that I constantly have to remove from the dock, but this happens with iTunes, VLC and many other apps.

The normal behaviour is for an app to stay in the dock while it's opened and be gone when I close them. I choose to have some permanently in the dock and those are the only ones I want to stay.

What's causing apps to stick around? :confused:

Cheers

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

My guess is you are confused on how to quit an application. You are probably clicking the red dot and expecting the application to quit when the windows exits. That is not the case for many applications. So, the icons are not "stuck" in the dock, the application is simply still running.

cmd-q will quit an application.

3. Ann P macrumors 68020

4. RadDave macrumors regular

RadDave

Or - when the app is opened, just use the CMD-Q key combo to close and remove it from the dock; or right-click on the app's icon in the doc and select 'Quit' - :)

5. madsylar thread starter macrumors member

No. This just happen today again with Evernote. The application is open, I quit the application (cmd+q), it should be gone from the dock but it stays there without the white dot next to it.

I right click it and REMOVE it from the dock. It's gone. A few days later (i can't replicate, it's totally random), I quit the program again and it is as if I had manually placed it in the dock.

I can't be the only one with such problem...

----------

Got the answer!

http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...e-the-random-auto-keeping-of-apps-in-the-dock

6. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

I definitely stand corrected. Just happened to me with Evernote also. Thanks for the article link - I had just run an update on Evernote - didn't make the correlation until I read this.