How to prioritize tabs in apps

Drifty_Child

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
USA
On my previous MBP 2012, when I upgraded to Mojave, I found an option somewhere to prioritize creating new tabs instead of new windows in applications. It worked in textedit for example, so when I opened a text file, it'd automatically open as a new tab in an existing textedit window.

I'm now on a new 2018 MBP running Mojave, and I can't seen to find the option. I don't recall where it was on my 2012 MBP either. Can anyone help me out?

x_man_

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2015
Check "Open folders in tabs instead of new windows" option in General tab, in Finder Preferences.

Reactions: chabig

Drifty_Child

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
USA
Oh, I forgot that Finder has its own separate set of preferences. I've now found it. Thank you.

Edit: Wait a second. Even though I have that option selected, my TextEdit files do not open as tabs. They each open in a separate window. What am I missing?

Attachments

x_man_

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2015
That option does not appear for me.
[doublepost=1542913887][/doublepost]Oh, never mind. I forgot that Finder has its own separate set of preferences. I've now found it. Thank you.
In the General tab in Finder´s preferences, not in the System Preferences.

Drifty_Child

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
USA
Sorry, I edited my post right before you posted that. I wanted to delete the post, but couldn't figure out how.

Anyway, that doesn't seem to have solved my issue. Even though I have "Open folders in tabs instead of new windows" selected, my TextEdit files do not open as tabs. They still each open in a separate window. What am I missing?

Last edited: