How to raise money for a Mac Mini in a short period of time.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tomthedude, May 19, 2008.

1. tomthedude macrumors member

tomthedude

Hey guys,

Little problem here. I was hoping to have a wonderful new Mac Mini by the end of July, but at the moment I have no cash. That's the problem with me. I can't control money. Im your average 14 year old kid. I see something I like, I have to get it, no matter what.

So, I have a PS2 and 10 or so games to sell and a PSP with 3 games to sell on eBay, and have been searching my house for something that might be worth something. Any everyday things I could sell to make some? Any other general ways other than eBay to make money?

Thanks a lot guys,
    -Tom-

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You could always try working. Babysit, mow lawns, poop scoop, whatever it takes...You got to start somewhere and people will pay you money for the craziest things.

3. dcubed20 macrumors member

Get a freaking job and save your money instead of blowing it frivolously. Although unless you have a particular skill, coming up with $600-$900 with your earning potential will take a while. Consider it a lesson in self-discipline.

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Cool you live around 3 miles away from me unless there is more than one Southend on Sea in the world.

5. tomthedude thread starter macrumors member

tomthedude

6. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

Sell crack...
    Take the money you have, and get a kick butt pimp stick and get some ho's.

7. tomthedude thread starter macrumors member

tomthedude

8. mariotheotaku macrumors regular

school is out get a job and sell the electronics you don't use. If after that you don't have enough, look for used systems on ebay or refurbs at the apple store

9. tomthedude thread starter macrumors member

tomthedude

Thanks for the ideas. In England, school doesn't finish for another 9 weeks, then we get 6 weeks off. And, I don't think I have any electronics I dont use.
    -Tom-

10. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

You haven't replied to people telling you to get a job. Is there a reason you are ignoring the idea?

11. tomthedude thread starter macrumors member

tomthedude

Yeah, I guess there is. Now don't hate me.
    Im the kind of person who can't (at the moment) do things like work for people, or knock on their doors and ask to wash their car and things like that. I don't know why, I just cant seem to do it.

12. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

I'm not hating, I was simply asking. If I wanted something that cost money, I would go make money. The only thing I can tell you to do is to go get a job cutting grass, washing cars, bagging groceries or any other thing that will legally help you "raise" money by working for it. Good luck.

13. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

The best way to save money for a apple computer is to purchase a apple gift card from the apple store You can put any denomination you want all the way up to 2000.00. Any time you get any extra cash just go down and put it on the card. Before you know it you will have enough.

I know how it is when you are trying to save for something and your half way to your goal. In the meantime you like walking around with this extra cash it is so tempting to just say ''O'' well this new game is only $50. 3 months down the road your still only have half or even less.

I have 3700.00 dollars on 2 different apple cards saved for a mac pro with 24'' acd. Just waiting to see if wwdc in june brings any updates for mac pro or acd.

My wife and I always split are tax returns, each year to spend on any thing we want. So the year before last I took my half and put it on a card, as well as this years return. Plus my $600 from the stimulus check, and any birthday or extra $ that I felt over the year should go towards my dream machine.

14. tomthedude thread starter macrumors member

tomthedude

Thanks dude, that is the best idea, do you know if they do Apple cards in the UK? Can you start with 0, and just keep adding on spare cash? Sorry for any gramatical mistakes, I sprained my pinky :D
    -Tom-

15. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't it be better to put it into an interest earning savings account or CD? I understand what you are saying but having money on an Apple gift card for over a year is not exactly the best way to hold onto your money...I would recommend putting it into a savings account and being wise with your money. Either way, you have to have patience and self control!!

16. mrmma macrumors member

Without working there are some options, but I think you have to be 18 for some/all of them:
    1) Donate plasma
    2) Paid volunteer for drug/psychological/etc study
    3) Enter online contests and sell winnings

17. snberk103 macrumors 603

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the stimulus cheque - by saving it? I thought the idea was to "stimulate" the economy? :D

I can be smug (for now) - Canada has been spared the worst of the economic meltdown our southern cousins have been suffering through.

To the OP..... get a job. I know approaching people is tough. Think of this as practice for your adult life. I'll let you in on a little secret.... the people you approach for a job.... they won't bite. really. Or, set up a stand at a farmer's market or something and sell something you make (photo-cards, etc.) That way you don't approach them, they come to you. Most people are happy to buy something home-made from a younger person.

Good Luck

18. LotusLord macrumors 6502

LotusLord

The Capital of the Land of Cheese and Beer
    Lots of fast food places, or local restaurants hire kids your age. Start there.

19. shoveland macrumors newbie

You could just tell everyone that for your upcoming bday you want and need cash, start early with it if it is in 5 months, who knows!

20. JasonElise1983 macrumors 6502a

JasonElise1983

GET A JOB!!! I am by far the laziest person i know, but i've had a job since i was 12. Given i worked for my Aunt who ran her own business and i cleaned there, but it was good pay for being 12. I had everything i needed through Jr High and HS because i worked for it. My parents couldn't afford to buy me things, so i bought them myself. I paid for my own gas, my own toys, my own bad habbits. I did it all, and it felt good. Sure, my parents gave me money, but that was like $20 a week, and in HS i spent more than that on booze and food for a weekend. It was nice to support myself instead of just dealing with not having stuff. too bad i wasn't a geek then, could've had some cool electronics (my thing was car stereo, and that was a BIG waste of money)

-je

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Lots of internet predators looking for young boys your age also. :p :eek:

---

The off-the-book neighborhood jobs will likely involve labor, and showing how much work it takes to create money.

Hopefully that'll get you to spend less ... though it is highly unlikely, since it involve some thinking and self control.

22. tomthedude thread starter macrumors member

tomthedude

OK, i'l look for a job in my local area. In the meantime, are there any everyday things I could sell to make some?
    -Tom-

23. jsgreen macrumors 6502

Ummm...you could have a bake sale.

"Everyday things" you could sell - does that translate into "stuff my parents won't notice I've sold?"

24. tomthedude thread starter macrumors member

tomthedude

No, lol. Unless there are some things...?

I was thinking more on books, games, just everyday things really.
    -Tom-

25. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Get a job.

What's minimum wage now? Assuming it's $6 per hour, you need to do about 100 hours for a new Mini, (or if you are lucky to find a $429 refurb, then it's close to 70 hours).

If you earn under certain amount, you don't have to pay taxes (check with your local tax law).

100 hours = 20 hours per week x 5 weeks,
    or 10 hours per week for 10 weeks.