How to recognize an "unlocked" iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by desertman, Aug 29, 2014.

1. desertman macrumors 6502a

I bought an iPhone 4S for the Verizon Wireless network on eBay that is supposed to be unlocked which means it should be possible to use it with a SIM card from a different (i. e. German) cell phone provider when being i. e. in Germany.

Is there a way to confirm that this iPhone is indeed unlocked, or do I have to wait until I travel to Germany and then try it?

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

You have to wait until you travel to Germany since an unlocked Verizon 4S won't work on any US GSM carriers.

3. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

If you have a foreign (German) SIM you can try it in the phone. If your phone is unlocked, the a SIM will get service - as long as that German provider has service or a roaming agreement where you are -even in the US.

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

This is right. The Verizon phones are supposed to be "World Phones" as they have CDMA network and to support roaming in other countries they also manage GSM networks. Germany is a common destination for certain US travelers so it 'should' work...

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Actually the verizon 4S GSM side is not unlocked unless you request it from the carrier and then they agree and unlock the gsm side of it.
    So without that being done it will not work on any gsm carriers outside the US at all.
    And you will not know for sure unless you test it in person.

6. elvismsmarta macrumors newbie

iphoneimei.info works for me most of the time or just order the Network check from ebay

7. s.clapp327 macrumors newbie

The way you check is you use a different sim card for AT&T and see if it searches for service. Put the phone in airplane mode first, then pop in the sim, then turn airplane mode back on. If it says no sim or invalid sim, that mean's it's not unlocked.

Another way is to fully reset the device and go through the activation steps, leave the AT&T sim in there and if it lets you proceed to get to the home screen, then it's unlocked. If it's not, it will say invalid sim.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

A verizon 4S even if its unlocked by verizon will NOT work with any domestic US carrier. Only with international GSM carriers.
    So even if it was unlocked you will not be able to check with an AT&T sim or any US carriers GSM sims at all.

9. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

I would get an International Sim and test out the phone.

10. willmtaylor, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Ok. Look at the bottom right hand corner where the glass meets the edge. Usually, there's some sort of a knob or rectangle sticking up. If it seems to be more down and can't go down any further, then it's locked. If it seems to be up more (and there's possibly some red or orange showing, then it's unlocked.)

[​IMG]

11. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

Lol! :d