Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SnowLucas

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2015
Hi,

Looking for some advice. I have a late 2010 MacBook Air 11" which isn't booting up. Appears to turn on with fan noise but doesn't chime and the screen doesn't come to life at any point. Looking to take to apple next week but I suspect they will come up with a price I'm not happy with.

Anyway the real issue is the files left on the SSD which I would like to securely delete. I have been able to remove the SSD from the computer but struggling to find the correct connection to get the files off the SSD and perform the format.

I realise there are kits that come with the adapter but obviously I'm not looking to buy another SSD, just looking for the adapter so I can format the drive and sell the broken laptop for parts.

SSD image attached.

Thanks for any help!
[doublepost=1497016412][/doublepost]Model number is A1370

Attachments

• IMG_0417.JPG
    IMG_0417.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 344

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Looking for some advice. I have a late 2010 MacBook Air 11" which isn't booting up.
Anyway the real issue is the files left on the SSD which I would like to securely delete. I have been able to remove the SSD from the computer but struggling to find the correct connection to get the files off the SSD and perform the format.
I realise there are kits that come with the adapter but obviously I'm not looking to buy another SSD, just looking for the adapter so I can format the drive and sell the broken laptop for parts.
Thanks for any help!
Model number is A1370
Here is a drive enclosure that will work for your 2010 MBA drive so you can get files off and format the drive (assuming that you have another Mac):
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MAU3ENVOY11/

EDIT: Mr_Brightside_@ beat me with his post.

Reactions: Mr_Brightside_@

SnowLucas

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2015
Destruction would be plan B. Or maybe plan C.

Thanks for the links. Exactly what I was looking for. Anyone seen one available in the UK?

SnowLucas

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2015
Perfect. Exactly what I was thinking about.

I think I have a better understanding of one of the many reasons people dislike having the hard drive soldered onto the motherboard. What a nightmare that would be.

Thanks!

Reactions: CoastalOR

SnowLucas

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2015
As a slight detour on this thread has anyone got any advice on the actual potential for repair of the laptop?

I believe the late 2010 MacBook Air is considered obsolete by Apple so unlikely they would repair it? Having had a look it seems to be maybe worth £300 on eBay working so a limit on how much I should reasonably spend. I don't have much experience with well our of warranty Apple laptops and repairs. Would I be wasting my time trying to get it fixed?

Is there any sensible way to determine if its the logic board? I would consider swapping the board myself if the numbers added up but obviously wouldn't want to waste my time if it was actually the screen for example.

My alternative is stick it broken on eBay while keeping the SSD in the enclosure listed above. After owning four Macs and helping others buy maybe twenty over the years this will be the first that didn't make resale in a working condition.

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
An independent Mac repairer might be able to diagnose it for you - there's one here in Brum I used once. THe first thing to do is see if the SSD responds in the device people recommended - if its all there and seems okay then it's not a drive failure preventing it booting. If logic board, I'd give up...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.