How to relocate the iTunes Media folder from the Music folder?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by schwine1, May 31, 2011.

1. schwine1 macrumors regular

I have moved the iTunes Media Folder from the Music Folder to another folder using the Advanced tab of the Preferences drop-down menu.

However, when I open iTunes, the iTunes Media Folder always re-appears within the Music Folder.

Thanks for any tips on how to permanently remove the iTunes Media folder from the Music folder.

2. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

why do you want to move the media folder to another folder ? it is best left in the default location.

3. schwine1 thread starter macrumors regular

It's just personal preference.

iTunes allows for a change in location of the iTunes Media Folder from the Music Folder via the Advanced tab of the Preferences drop-down menu.

It's just that this process doesn't seem to work through the Advanced tab.

4. Jolly Giant, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011

Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

pointing iTunes media folder location to another location only tells iTunes where to put future additions to your library. you need to consolidate your library after setting the new location.

make sure the copy files ... when adding option is enabled (also on the advanced tab) before you start.

to consolidate your library (on a Mac) ☞ go file > library > organize library > consolidate files

once the consolidation process finished, you can delete the original media folder.

if the new location is on an external HD, make sure the drive is mounted on your desktop before launching iTunes.

5. schwine1 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the information, Jolly Giant.
    Here are the results of your instruction.

I ensured that the "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" is check-marked. My new location for the iTunes Media folder is a separate folder named "iTunes" within the Users section of the Mac Snow Leopard hard disc.

After clicking "OK" in the advanced tab to accept the changed location of the iTunes Media folder, I then consolidated the files by check-marking the "Consolidate files" option within the Organize Library window of iTunes for Mac, version 10.2.1.

With the basic process complete, I deleted the iTunes folder within the Music folder, re-started the computer, opened iTunes and discovered that the iTunes folder continues to appear within the Music folder. The iTunes software itself seems to have a memory of the default Music folder, even though the iTunes Media folder has been formally changed to a new folder location.

It is clear that iTunes has provided a fairly straight-forward option or method to change the location of the iTunes Media folder, so I must be doing something wrong, yet the process is quite simple so I can't figure out why iTunes isn't accepting the new folder location of the iTunes Media folder.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

What's so bad about having an iTunes Media folder in the default location, even if it's empty?

7. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

sure. you consolidated your media files to another location but iTunes will recreate an iTunes folder in the default location if none exists there.

the question is, is the iTunes folder in the default location devoid of content (except the default library files) ?

one sure way to find out where the actual content is located would be to get info on random files in iTunes and go to the summary tab - iTunes will show you the path to the location.

8. schwine1 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the additional information, Jolly Giant.

With this posting, I've included a screenshot of the iTunes folder within the Music folder, as well as the independently located iTunes folder. The contents of each folder can be seen within each screenshot. I've also included a screenshot of an iTunes library file. My apologies, but I couldn't find the Summary tab within the Get Info window.

The iTunes folder within the Music folder appears to be empty except for the Library files, and the independently located iTunes folder has additional folders in it. The Get Info screenshot is from a Library file within the independently located iTunes folder.

Attached Files:

9. tdiaz macrumors 6502

Okay, in slightly different phraseology. . "I would like to have the iTunes Media folder on a server", when I move it there, it seems to randomly reset the location back to the user directory. Even if I have consolidated, and specified.

As for me, in my case, I don't care if there's an empty one there. Fine. Let it be. But what happens is at some point it will set itself back to the default spot and all stuff added since then will be in the user directory again, with the consolidated content being where it was placed and still functioning.

I desire to have it on a server because that server is set on a fault tolerant drive array, and frees my local machine from having a ton of stuff on it. Now if iTunes played nicer with this type of configuration I'd be even more thrilled. I'm surprised it does not. It's usually disc spin city for 3-4 minutes when a song is added, up to 10 minutes worth when songs in bulk are added. If the directory hasn't defaulted back to the user directory settings.

10. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

i said get info on files in iTunes

[​IMG]

copy the entire iTunes folder folder to the server. then launch iTunes while holding option (⌥), click on choose library when prompted, and select the iTunes folder on the server.

make sure the server is available before launching iTunes.

11. schwine1 thread starter macrumors regular

The "Where" field at the bottom of the Summary window indicates that the pathway leds to the independent iTunes folder, and not the iTunes folder within the Music folder (see screenshot). The blank space in the "Where" pathway is where my personal name appears (I just erased it for privacy reasons).

Attached Files:

12. tdiaz macrumors 6502

This is exactly what I did, and while it works most of the time, there are times when it just reverts back for no real apparent reason. The server is available, mounted, etc. Files are even open on it.

As well, the performance issue with it working via server seems to just suck. Nevermind that it's a gigabit link and 15K drives on the other end, and Toast can burn DVDs from it at 8X average without a hassle.

iTunes really needs to get out of the stone age. I suspect it's probably not going to happen now as they want you to use the cloud service instead.

13. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

so, it seems consolidating your files was successful.

problem solved, no ?

14. schwine1 thread starter macrumors regular

Problem solved? Well, yes and no.

It's good to see that the music files are following the path of the iTunes folder outside of the Music folder.

In my initial posting for this thread, I said "when I open iTunes, the iTunes Media Folder always re-appears within the Music Folder."

This statement stlll holds true, even though the iTunes folder within the Music folder contains only default Library files. What I was trying to say, is that I wonder if it's possible to physically remove the visual presence of the iTunes folder within the Music folder. After completing our exercise, I have come to the conclusion that this cannot be done. I just wanted to know one way or the other if it can be done.

15. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

as i said, iTunes will recreate the default folders and files in the default location (if they are missing) upon launch.

consider it a safety measure. imagine the iTunes folder location you chose is not available (for whatever reason) when you add content. the content would just disappear into cyberspace if iTunes wouldn't have anywhere to put it.

16. ooans macrumors 6502

I have my iTunes folder on my NAS. This is the first time i've heard of this "holding down the option button while you start iTunes" -trick. Sounds very useful.

The trick I still use to keep iTunes pointing to the right place, cause my MP3's are on my NAS, is:
    In the iTunes Folder in user/Music there is the iTunes Media folder. Instead of having a real folder by that name, I create an alias to my Network folder and name it "iTunes Media".

So every time iTunes starts and decides to change the homefolder to default, it's actually linking the home folder to the NAS folder the files are at. My iTunes non-music files (for example iTunes Library file) are still on my macbook hd.

Of course this is in no way a perfect solution. Nowadays when I go to check where my home folder is in iTunes it just shows nothing. A blank space where the address should be. It still finds the songs, tho. But due to this blank space the only way I'm able to import songs to iTunes is to add them to the "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder. Actually it's nice having that folder on my NAS, since I can easily import files from all my computers.