How to remove all information from iP4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jsf721, Jul 26, 2012.

1. jsf721 macrumors 6502

I have my old Ip4 that I keep around in case anyone we need a back up for any reason. My neice is getting her first cell phone shortly and I suggested she take my 4 so that when the new iPhone is released she can get the latest and greatest. I think there will certianly be a new iPhone inside of the 2 years Verizon would make her wait otherwise.

She is appreciative and now I need to know how to remove all my data, push active sync mail settings and icloud/imessage information form the old phone. When I got my new phone all I did was turn it off so all my info is still there.

Thanks for the guidance.

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

You can erase directly from your phone......settings---general----reset---erase all content and settings.

makes the phone as if you just purchased it.

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Be sure to turn off iMessage on the Settings prior to erasing it. For some reason, iPhones are linked to previous owners iMessage if it wasn't turn off prior to resetting.

5. jsf721 thread starter macrumors 6502

Resetting in itunes or in settings on the phone?

----------

Thanks for your responses. they are appreciated! Have a good day.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

when you reset all it literally makes it like a brand new phone....you have to go through the entire set up process. Whenever I do that, there is no trace of past data...

7. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

That's what it's supposed to do but not with iMessage. It's a bug and been reported on Engadget/Gizmodo & BGR. The server doesn't seem to always disassociate the phone with the iPhone:

http://gizmodo.com/5880593/the-apple-bug-that-let-us-spy-on-a-total-strangers-iphone

To The OP, all you do is go into your iPhone's settings (on the phone), then go down to Messages and turn off iMessage.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

thanks, good to know

9. Breezygirl macrumors 6502

Breezygirl

If you restore to factory settings do you have to upgrade the version? Thanks

10. jsf721 thread starter macrumors 6502

sorry, turn imessage off and then what restore in itunes or in setting erase all data?

thanks!

11. batting1000 macrumors 604

Doesn't matter. They both do essentially the same thing, except in iTunes, it extracts the current software and replaces it with a fresh install. Doing it on the phone just erases everything and doesn't reinstall the software.

12. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Turn off iMessage before erasing your data. Then, once you've backed up all your personal info, you're ready to completely erase your iPhone. Go to this place on your iPhone: SETTINGS then GENERAL then RESET and ERASE ALL CONTENT ETC...

And you're done. Just remove your SIM card (if you're not on Verizon or Sprint).

13. jsf721 thread starter macrumors 6502

OK-thanks all good here!