How to remove iPhone 4s data plan from AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 93MPH, Nov 6, 2011.

1. 93MPH macrumors member

I just got off the phone with AT&T and bought a 4s under our 2nd line's eligibility (we have 2 lines but not a family plan). Now, that 2nd line does not currently have a data plan (Motorola Razor) and since I used its eligibility upgrade to get the iPhone 4s, It has a $25 monthly data plan with it (eff 12/29/2011). It does not need it because I will be the one using the iphone on my line. How can I go about removing this feature?

2. wpotere Guest

You can't.... If you have a smart phone, you have to have a data plan in place. If you put the phone on the line they will see it and force you to take a plan.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Put the iPhone on your line and a dumbphone on the 2nd line, then call AT&T and request to remove the data plan.

4. 93MPH thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. I was thinking of doing that but wasn't sure if a new contract meant that I had to stick with the data plan all 24 months.

5. wpotere Guest

Oops, I read that wrong, I thought you meant off the iPhone line. Yes, you can remove the plan off of the dumb phone line by simply calling them.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Just go to your AT&T store and explain your needs.

7. dave006 macrumors 68020

Once you get the new iPhone, since it was ordered on your 2nd line. Just Call Customer Care and provide them with the IMEI of the Razor to replace the IMEI of the new iPhone 4S that was assigned and ask them to remove the iPhone 4S data plan.

The reason to wait is to make sure that you don't mess up the new contract activation that will happen just before your new iPhone 4S ships. :D

All data plans for the iPhone are considered features and not part of the contract. So if you switch devices, you are able to remove the iPhone data plan. Same thing applies for other smart-phones that require a data plan.

Dave

8. openendstraight macrumors regular

openendstraight

The first thing you should try is a search of the forum, there you'll find that this has been asked and answered many times.

9. wpotere Guest

The question was answered yet you still felt the need to post that. Great job internet policeman! :rolleyes:

10. 93MPH thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for the replys :cool: As for not using the search button, I wanted a more up to date answer.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The moment you put that SIM in your 4S, AT&T's servers will update your account with the device. A couple days later, a data plan will be added to your account or they will suspend your service.

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The line he wants the iPhone on will have a data plan - but so will the 2nd line. The 2nd line will have a RAZR, so he wants to drop the data plan from the 2nd line.