How to remove items from the menu bar in high sierra?!

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by shankar2, Apr 17, 2018.

1. shankar2 macrumors 6502a

So I have programs that launch upon reboot automatically. However I want some of the items that hence appear in the menu bar in high sierra removed!

I tried pressing the command button and dragging the icon away from the menu bar but it keeps bouncing back to the menu bar!

How do I remove any item from the menu bar once and for all? Thanks!

2. MC6800 macrumors 6502

In general the control for the presence of a menu extra is in that feature's preferences, which you can usually get to from that menu. For example the Wi-Fi menu has "Open Network Preferences..." where you'll find the "Show Wi-Fi status in menu bar" checkbox. The Command-drag just lets you reorder them.

3. shankar2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Some 3rd party apps that start upon login place themselves into the menu bar and their preferences don't have any section of placement in menu bar. :-(

4. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

Hold the Command key and you're able to drag any of the Menu Bar icons. You can also drag them out of the Menu Bar to remove them.

5. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

consider checking out https://www.macbartender.com

i love this app (i have it on both of my macs); gives me control over the icons in the menubar; i keep most hidden (except, of course, what i want to see). app has some good options, too...

6. donawalt, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018

donawalt macrumors regular

donawalt

When I do this under 10.13.4 they just snap back in place when I drag them off the menu bar with Command key pressed. Unless this is app specific and it works for some I did not try...

7. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

Odd. It was working fine for me on 10.13.4 and 10.13.5.