How to replace SIMM card on iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eric3312, Sep 18, 2012.

1. eric3312 macrumors 6502

I used my wife's phone line to upgrade to the iPhone 5 but I am the one that will actually be using the phone, not her line.

I called Verizon and they said I will need to stop into the store and get the SIMM card replaced.

Is this going to be a hard process? Are they going to have to tear apart the phone to get to it?

Or will it be accessible easily?

Any way to get around them doing this if they DO have to take it apart? I really don't want any one messing with my device.

Thanks for the info and please excuse my ignorance on the topic. Fairly new to this.

2. MagnusF macrumors regular

This is all they will do

[​IMG]

3. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

I've talked t a few reps. As far as I know you won't need to replace the sim card at all.

4. eric3312 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok great. Thank you very much for your response to my newb question. I really appreciate it.

5. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

SIM cards on all iPhones, you just have to insert a paper clip, or the "official SIM card removal tool" to remove the tray which holds the SIM card.

6. MacUser09 macrumors regular

The SIM for the iPhone 5, is the new nano SIM, whereas the SIM for the iPhone 4 is a Micro SIM, (slightly larger), so they might be telling you that you will need to get a replacement nano SIM for the IP 5.

7. eric3312 thread starter macrumors 6502

Still same process as regular sim? Just remove with a paper clip?

8. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Yes, I don't see Apple changing to another method anytime soon. I wish they would make it behind the back cover, so that way theres an excuse for a removable battery ;)

9. drmark50 macrumors newbie

I called Verizon today - they were just educated on this topic and informed me no need to change the sim card.

10. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

Lol so you're just validating that I'm correct, right? Lol

11. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

Adding to this, a SIMM is a Single In-line Memory Module. Used for computer memory back in the day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIMM

12. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

The sim that comes in the phone can be programmed remotely like any sim. There's absolutely no reason to waste time & money going in to any carrier. It can all be done over the air (OTA) by the carrier. It's one simple phone call.

13. iHarrison macrumors regular

iHarrison

I had this question at first as well.

Called AT&T and found out YOU DO NOT need to do anything with the SIM card.

Here's all you need to do (via AT&T):

"If you are an existing upgrading customer who plans to activate your new iPhone from a mobile number other than the one used to upgrade:

1. Call 1-800-331-0500 from any phone, or 611 from an AT&T wireless phone.
    2. Enter the wireless number that received the upgrade.
    3. Choose Option #2 to activate your device on a different mobile number.
    4. An AT&T Representative will assist you with the remaining activation process."

Basically, you just call them, explain you're upgrading to iPhone 5 on a different number than the one you ordered with and then they switch things over the phone before you plug your new iPhone 5 into iTunes to finish the upgrade. :D

14. aham23 macrumors regular

^^^^

so for my situation noted below, can i just order online then call when it arrives?

we have 2 iphone 4s on a family plan. i want to order the 5 as and added line to get the $199 price, which i can do from Apple or AT&T. t

the SIM change is tossing a loop in my plan. i want my existing 4s # to be transferred to the 5. the new # goes to the 4s which i am giving to our kid. yes, lucky kid.

stopped in an AT&T store where i was told just to swap the SIMs. well, that cant be done since they are different.

i am reading that i just need to NOT activate it when it arrives and visit a store front to explain what i want and they will assist me. do i have my plan straight here?

much thanks. later.

15. infinity12402 macrumors member

yup, i was just told the same info. i was told the first time that i would need to go to the store, then i talked to someone about an hour ago, and that person told me that i would not need to go into the store, that they could do it over the phone. hopefully, the second rep was right, seeing as im trying to avoid the store at all costs

16. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Exactly, that's how carriers (at least here in the US) have been doing it for quite some time. You call in with the ICCID in the current system, but with Apple in the mix, iTunes/Wi-Fi activation will just do it all.