How to rescue the data?

aggemam

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2002
Denmark
Hi

I have a PBG4 / 400.

Because I messed up PHP and Apache, I wanted to reinstall Mac OS X 10.1.

Unfortunately, as I was ready to install, the CD drive refused to read the Install CD. And now, there is no OS on the hard drive. In other words, I have no boot device.

I could take out the hard drive and back up my data from another computer, but that would void my warranty, wouldn't it?

I've got plenty of other Macs; could I possibly set up NetBoot? How do I do that?

I don't care about my CD drive or the health of my computer; Apple is sending me a new one. But I'd like to have my data back :)

Thanks a lot!

Christian

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Where is the OS 9 disk that came with OS 10.1?

Or even the old CDs that came with the computer.

aggemam

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2002
Denmark
Well I have those, but the CD (or DVD, actually) drive does not work.

I am looking for a way to boot my Mac without using the hard drive or CD drive... NetBoot?

Solipsys

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2001
FiereWire Link?

I don't know if this will work for your situation, but if you hold down "T" on bootup your PB will act as a FireWire hard drive... Connect it to one of your other computers using a FireWire cable with two 4 pin jacks and your PB hard drive should mount on the other computer.

hope this helps

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: FiereWire Link?

Originally posted by Solipsys
I don't know if this will work for your situation, but if you hold down "T" on bootup your PB will act as a FireWire hard drive... Connect it to one of your other computers using a FireWire cable with two 4 pin jacks and your PB hard drive should mount on the other computer.

hope this helps
Actually, that's 6pin connectors...4 pin is the mini connector.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
If you have a tower (any generation with an ATA bus and spare/open port on the ribbon, you can get a rack that will hold your TiBook's 2.5" hard drive so that you can read it from the other system.

You could also boot in the TBM (Target Disk Mode) and the laptop's hard drive will mount on the other computer as an external drive. You can find out how (exactly) to do the target disk mode here (AppleCare Document 58583).

BTW, pulling the hard drive from a TiBook will NOT void the warranty, it's one of the user installable parts.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Good luck, hopefully you'll find a way to get your data back.

At least it was only a Murphy's Law experience ...

aggemam

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2002
Denmark
Thanks

Thanks everyone!

I'll try the firewire disk mode thing. I'll just have to buy a cable first :)

--
Thanks,
Christian

aggemam

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2002
Denmark
It worked

I just bought a FireWire cable, and it worked flawlessly. Thanks for your help!

--
Christian

aggemam

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2002
Denmark
LOL, just as I wrote that message, I pulled out the firewire cable and got a kernel panic on the host :)

So the word "flawlessly" should be "almost flawlessly" or something like that :)

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by aggemam
LOL, just as I wrote that message, I pulled out the firewire cable and got a kernel panic on the host :)

So the word "flawlessly" should be "almost flawlessly" or something like that :)
Did you follow the instructions that were posted (in the article)???

As shown in the AppleCare Knowledge Base document
4. When you are finished copying files, drag the target computer's hard disk icon to the Trash or select Put Away from the File menu (Mac OS 9) or Eject from the File menu (Mac OS X).

5. Press the target computer's power button to turn it off.

6. Unplug the FireWire cable.

aggemam

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2002
Denmark
Darn, someone noticed it :)

I actually did think of it myself after posting. I'll raise the white flag.

However, it's still not quite logical that you have to turn it off, FireWire being hot-plug.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Target Disk Mode is NOT the same as a hot pluggable hard drive... Even those, you want to dismount before you unplug them... With the TDM, you just turn off the system (the one acting as a drive) before unplugging it.

A couple of extra steps would have saved you from the panic... :p :D